Protein Skimmer - External or Internal which is better?

Lenny

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein Skimmer - External or Internal which is better? I have room for either and I'm curious which is better. Please help!

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't the internals usually less expensive? If it was me I'd go with internal just in case you developed a leak or something.

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people go internal these days. I think they are safer for plumbing/overflow issues. Todays pumps produce less heat and more effient, heat build up is less of a factor.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my dream machine :bigsmile: Super Reef Octopus XP 5000

i have the xp3000 on my 180 and its a new tank so it doesnt skim like it should, but man this thing can sure make some foam!

Alattner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am going with an internal just because the fact that if there ever is a leak i wont have to worry.

Scott Hawaii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimz makes some of the most compact skimmers especially external.( recirculating ) Many people plumb their external as internal as water level is not a factor and you do not have to worry about leaks or overflows. One pump supplies water and the other is the skimmer pump. Able to fine tune air/water ratio. Usually can pull more organics out.

Scott Hawaii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimz makes some of the most compact skimmers especially external.( recirculating ) Many people plumb their external as internal as water level is not a factor and you do not have to worry about leaks or overflows. One pump supplies water and the other is the skimmer pump. Able to fine tune air/water ratio. Usually can pull more organics out.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack this thread, but it appears that

OP “Lenny “ was last on here 11/11/11.

Anybody know where Lenny went?

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i have a Deltec TC 2060 external and i'm very happy with it, not any flood . They build same model to use inside of sump and for sure it's same good skimmer. If i will change my system or if i will build a bigger sump i will buy an internal skimmer just because this external skimmer use so much space, it's more hard take out for cleaning and i must use one pump to feed him.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife's skimmer is external to the sump and has sprung leaks. It now has a gallon jar to catch the spills. So if you go external make sure you have provisions to catch spills from leaking seals and the like.

my .02

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back