PROTEIN SKIMMER FACE OFF: Innovative Marine Nuvoskim DC Protein Skimmer VS. Eshopps Protein Nano 10-35G Skimmer

HAMMERofGold

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I'm thinking of converting my 14G Coral Life Biocube into a frag tank so I can get the frag racks and shroom boxes out of my 37G display tank.

I know I don't "need" a Protein Skimmer, but I want the water quality to be top notch. I've looked at both of these online and they seem pretty similar in price and functionality. I was wondering if anyone had some opinions about which one was better for my intended setup.

NuvoSkimmer

Eshopps Nano Skimmer

Which is better?

Ready? GO

THANK YOU!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No opinion on these, but wondering which one you decided on

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the IM Nuvo running on my 10 gallon AIO cube. The only issue I have with it is the way you dial it in. There is a rubber band gasket on the collection cup that you move the change the height of the cup to dial it in. I believe the eshoppes skimmer uses a magnet to change the height of the entire skimmer to achieve this. To me, neither are a viable option but then again that's what you get for such a small nano skimmer.

OP
OP
HAMMERofGold

HAMMERofGold

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input brynicks! That seemed to be the general consensus from the other reviews I've read - which made me disinterested.

I felt like if I was willing to spend the money, I should get the best that will fit. One day, when I have a larger tank/system, I can still use it (this is how I generally try to look at my equipment purchases). So I was like @$%^ it, I'm going with the AquaMaxx HOB 1.5 skimmer. Way more expensive, but great reviews/worth the money etc. I figured I could fit that and an Intank rack all in the same AIO Filtration compartment (FALSE). As soon as the Intank rack came in, I knew my plan would fail - not enough room.

So being that I am bored in quarantine, I decided to build a larger system to give me more space. I had a rimless 8 gallon tank with a stand in storage, and I figured why not use a siphon/pump to circulate water through the two tanks. So with nothing but time on my hands, that's what I did. I got it set up, started cycling it, etc.

20200413_171247.jpg

Then the AquaMaxx arrived at my door. It looked like we had ordered a piece of furniture. OK maybe that's an exaggeration, but I'm telling you it was big. So big that it didn't even register to me that it could be my skimmer. The thing was clearly too big for my intended my purposes, but maybe i could still use it somehow. I have an old Red Sea Prism Skimmer on my display tank that isnt as good, maybe I could upgrade my display tank? but then I'd have to use the prism on my frag tank, and that one is super loud. I didn't want to have that hanging off the top of my 14G BC.

With all this going through my mind, I opened it up to inspect it and see what I could do with it. That's when I learned it was damaged and that pushed me over the edge to just return it and get something else. I packed it back up, and shipped it back.

So I did more reading and discovered that people seemed really into the Tunze Comline 9001. I have other Tunze products, I know their stuff is good quality, so I figured I would give that a go. I got it in the mail recently and have to say I think its really sleek looking and love that it mounts magnetically. I just started it up today, and am still trying to dial it in, but its clear that the thing cranks out skim (really quietly too!). You can see its mounted in my 8G rimless in the Pic below.

20200424_123805.jpg

I'm calling this my Frankentank because its been pieced together with mostly left over parts I had laying around. But this haphazard-looking tank boasts a Tunze ATO, Intank rack, Comline 9001 skimmer, and Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 150. Not to mention two different flow and lighting zones I can use. It looks wild, but I'm kind of digging it right now (and the Wife hasn't shut it down yet). I think its earned its place over the drumset haha - I will be breaking those down now to make more room for fish!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back