Protein skimmer for 135g with Reefmat

ebeltran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a Red Sea Max S 500 (135g system) second hand. It came with a skimmer but I then purchased a Reefmat. I’ve heard you should undersized your skimmer with the mat rollers, and I’m trying to find some extra space in the sump, so I’m seeking recs for a smaller protein skimmer, preferably under $500.

I’m planning on having around 15 fish (or fewer), Refugium, UV filter, if that helps.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely don't undersize your skimmer - even with a ReefMat. I have a Nyos Quanum 160 on my Red Sea 750XXL, so I'd recommend at least the Nyos Quanum 120 or a comparably-sized skimmer.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a Red Sea Max S 500 (135g system) second hand. It came with a skimmer but I then purchased a Reefmat. I’ve heard you should undersized your skimmer with the mat rollers, and I’m trying to find some extra space in the sump, so I’m seeking recs for a smaller protein skimmer, preferably under $500.

I’m planning on having around 15 fish (or fewer), Refugium, UV filter, if that helps.
I'm setting up a 126G soon with a ReefMat 500 and opted for an Ultra Reef Akula 160 (also upgrading to a DC pump). I think the Ultra Reef should do well in your setting. I'd also recommend maybe a NYOS 120.

I wouldn't call it undersizing, just don't oversize because that'll be worse. I would look for "light bioload" ratings at most.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back