Protein skimmer how long can you have it switched off for!

brooky89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there guys, just wondering how long you can have your protein skimmer turned off without causing too much damage? I am going away for two weeks and wondering if I can have my protein skimmer turned off for that long And Will it cause any damage deaths of fish or coral?

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run one on any of my tanks. I guess it would depend on your tank size, stocking density, other filtration but its not a do or die piece of equipment imo.

OP
OP
B

brooky89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run one on any of my tanks. I guess it would depend on your tank size, stocking density, other filtration but its not a do or die piece of equipment imo.
My tank is 119 gallon main tang only sump is 110 L, I have 5 tangs, blue tang, lipstick tang, white cheek tang, Bristle tooth tang and a convict tang, 1 clown, 1 blenny,1 chomis, 1 foxface, I have heaps of marine pure 7 L worth,and heaps Matrix and denitrate. Hopefully there’s enough not to have a nitrate/ammonia outbrake.

reefinnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're fine to turn it off, just make sure that if you don't take it out of the sump and empty it, that you do so prior to turning it back on. You don't want to create an anoxic zone and then release all of that back into the tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back