Protein skimmer issue- Idk if this is normal?

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I have an Eshopps Axium 350
https://www.aquacave.com/protein-sk...um-protein-skimmer-4th-gen-300-450g-tank.html
It sits on an egg crate box in my sump so that is it about 8 inches underwater and the water level is always the same.
It will be fine for a week, then overflow like crazy with a ton of brown water in the collection cup. Then the bubbles will be 3 inches below the "desired popping area" for days. Then it will be collecting normally. Then low. Then overflow etc. The thing is never stable. I took the pump apart recently and cleaned it with citric acid etc. Didnt help. Nothing really changes in the tank, the fish are fed 1-2x a day. There are alk and ca additives on a pump. Thats pretty much all that goes into the tank that isnt already in the tank. Havent added a fish in probably 6 months. The tank is going on 5 years old and has been in a stable state for a good bit. The skimmer is probably 3-4 years old. It has mostly always been like this but as my bio load grew over the years, its much more frustrating now. So Im wondering- are all protein skimmers like this or is it just mine? Is there a secret?
Thank you!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubble king stays dialed in like a rock from day to day / week to week.

When there is DOC then it skims it out and then it will idle back until the next evening, kicks back in every evening after the reef has been fed.

You may want to look into something like a Deltec skimmer.

I'm sure that Adam at BattleCorals would help you pick the right model.

lol
Don't think you would want to pay the price for a BK (for that size), but they sure are great.

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know that its not normal. Sigh
Yeah $1800 is not in my price range to replace it but thank you for the info. Ill look into the Deltecs and get some reefer input when i replace. For now maybe ill contact the company and see. Maybe if I replace the pump.
Always something =)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back