Protein Skimmer On or Off when cycling ?

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the opinions on running your protein skimmer when cycling. My tank has been cycling for about 24 days. Live Sand/dry rock

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Practically speaking, I don't think it makes much of a difference. I run them so I can break them in if they are new and it allows me to dial them in. I also use the time to program my apex and set levels with my sump/ATO in relation to the skimmer being on/off during certain events (e.g. coral feeding, maintenance).

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started two tanks.
One had it going from the start.
The other not until I added fish.
For me I found no pro or con either way.
Cycle time was almost identical.

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious because the back of the bottle I used to seed the tank stated to turn off the skimmer and remove fine filtration. But some of the reading I’ve been doing I. The mean time made it seem like it was more common to run the skimmer from the start as well. I’m in no rush either way just more of a curiosity.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious because the back of the bottle I used to seed the tank stated to turn off the skimmer and remove fine filtration. But some of the reading I’ve been doing I. The mean time made it seem like it was more common to run the skimmer from the start as well. I’m in no rush either way just more of a curiosity.
Well I would go with the directions and not run it.
I did not read them when I cycled the tanks.
YMMV. sometime I can be bad about following instruction.
Juat ask my better half LoL

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would go with the directions and not run it.
I did not read them when I cycled the tanks.
YMMV. sometime I can be bad about following instruction.
Juat ask my better half LoL
I feel ya! This is probably the first project In my life that I’ve literally read everything twice and continue to do research on. I have no idea what I’m doing and have been learning as I go

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you add bacteria they are floating free until they find surfaces to settle and multiply on. If you've seen a bacterial bloom (looks like white smoke in the tank) that is an example of lots of bacteria with no home and they are quite skimmable in that state. The manufacturer is just trying to give you best odds by not skimming out what you just added before it can find a home.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back