Protein skimmer question while cycling

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! This is my first real post on this website! I have saltwater aquarium that is currently in the cycling process and just got my reef octopus classic 1000 hob skimmer in the mail today. My question is should I turn the skimmer on even though I’m in a cycle, or I was thinking if it would be smart to leave the air intake hose plugged to stop the skimming and let the skimmer go through the break in process so when my tank is cycled it will be ready to go? Also if I leave the air intake plugged for a long period of time would this mess up the skimmer in any way? Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! This is my first real post on this website! I have saltwater aquarium that is currently in the cycling process and just got my reef octopus classic 1000 hob skimmer in the mail today. My question is should I turn the skimmer on even though I’m in a cycle, or I was thinking if it would be smart to leave the air intake hose plugged to stop the skimming and let the skimmer go through the break in process so when my tank is cycled it will be ready to go? Also if I leave the air intake plugged for a long period of time would this mess up the skimmer in any way? Thanks and sorry for the long post!
I've never had any issues with running a skimmer while cycling a tank. Imo it does help the skimmer break in and be ready for when you add your fish

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running my skimmer right now this is brand new and I'm cycling a new 180. My other tank is 20 years old so I haven't cycle a tank in a long time so I'm following

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t turn my skimmer on until after I added fish. I would wait until the tank cycles. You don’t want to strip out nutrients the tank needs to build up the good bacteria.

OP
OP
cww81

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the comments, but what if I turned the skimmer on but left the air intake closed so no bubbles are being made? It seems to me that this would be the best of both sides of the debate in that the skimmer is up and running to break in but it also isn’t producing skim mate to strip the tank of nutrients during the cycle.

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is up to you. Some people start from the beginning and do just fine, and the same is true for those that don’t. You’ll find beautiful tanks that run only LED lights and others swear metal halides are the best. The best advice I can give you is be patient, and take things slow!

Welcome to R2R! It’s the best place to be!! :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back