Protein Skimmer Question

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been running a new protein skimmer for about 3-4 weeks. I am running it 24/7 and it’s pulling all kinds of nasty gunk into the cup. (Worse thing Ive ever smelled in my life and I live on a farm)

My question is, my leathers and my dendro haven’t been doing nearly as well since about week 2 of the protein skimmer ... could I be pulling to many nutrients out ? Should/could I just run the skimmer at night and leave it off during the day OR am I looking to much into this.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been running a new protein skimmer for about 3-4 weeks. I am running it 24/7 and it’s pulling all kinds of nasty gunk into the cup. (Worse thing Ive ever smelled in my life and I live on a farm)

My question is, my leathers and my dendro haven’t been doing nearly as well since about week 2 of the protein skimmer ... could I be pulling to many nutrients out ? Should/could I just run the skimmer at night and leave it off during the day OR am I looking to much into this.

Have you done much testing on nutrients before and after the skimmer addition? What are those numbers like? It's certainly possible your skimming too much and you can either skim less as you suggest or feed more. What other filtration do you have in the tank?

tvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try turning your skimmer off while you feed and a little after. Give your coral first crack at the food and/or feed your coral directly,,,,

OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done much testing on nutrients before and after the skimmer addition? What are those numbers like? It's certainly possible your skimming too much and you can either skim less as you suggest or feed more. What other filtration do you have in the tank?
I have an AIO SR 80 from innovative marine. I run a little carbon, a little purigen, and a skimdge of Chemi pure elite - filter sock and the media basket. (Along with my protein skimmer)

I haven't tested nutrients too much as my tank is only 5 months old. Just before I added my skimmer I remember my calcium being a little high, NO3 and NO4 were lowish but very readable. Salinity is .025.

I started to get a little red slime algae right before I added the skimmer and that was due to me trying to feed high because my NO3 and NO4 were pretty low for a while. So after a week or so or overfeeding, the algae showed up. And thats when the protein skimmer went in. It did take care of my algae problem though :) (or at least it hasn't came back yet)

OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try turning your skimmer off while you feed and a little after. Give your coral first crack at the food and/or feed your coral directly,,,,
I turn my skimmer and pumps off during feeding. I only keep my wave makers on. This lasts for about 10 minutes.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AIO SR 80 from innovative marine. I run a little carbon, a little purigen, and a skimdge of Chemi pure elite - filter sock and the media basket. (Along with my protein skimmer)

I haven't tested nutrients too much as my tank is only 5 months old. Just before I added my skimmer I remember my calcium being a little high, NO3 and NO4 were lowish but very readable. Salinity is .025.

I started to get a little red slime algae right before I added the skimmer and that was due to me trying to feed high because my NO3 and NO4 were pretty low for a while. So after a week or so or overfeeding, the algae showed up. And thats when the protein skimmer went in. It did take care of my algae problem though :) (or at least it hasn't came back yet)

Well, given the Algae is gone I'm guessing you've stripped most of your nutrients out of the tank. I would test and see where you are at right now.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my mind, I would want to know and monitor the NO3 and PO4 levels before trying to solve anything. There are so many variables that may have nothing to do with the skimmer. Are all parameters correct (confirm before doing anything)? See attached recommended levels if you don't have this. Also, consider your lighting intensity/schedule. Are you doing water changes? What is your system total water volume? Many things to consider before acting.

Marine Aquarium Parameters (Liveaquaria) 7-12-20.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back