Protein Skimmer Recommendations for Biocube 32?

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have advice on that quick hospital tank setup? My clowns have both had worms coming off of/out of them this week (both in the tank for 4 months), Also I like the intank upgrade but have found that it slows my return pump flow significantly.
I hope you got my reply... on my end it shows it in an odd spot so I just wanted to make sure you got it lol (could just be a glitch on my screen)

Cdeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it fits in the biocube 32 without mods??

I know there are quite a few that fit in the OLD biocubes but they do not fit in the newer models... (32g’s)

This one just came out over the past few months. Fits in the 32 with no mods. 16 needs the floor taken out in chamber 1 if there's where you want to put it.

ELL23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my Biocube 32 with Steve’s Led.

1st chamber
> Aquamaxx Fr-s Carbon Reactor
> Eheim Heater

2nd chamber
> inTank media basket with Filter floss, chemipure and refigium
> Aquatic life 115 protein skimmer
> Seachem matrix

3rd chamber
> sicce syncra 1.5 357gph Return pump
> coralife uv sterilizer
> Tunze ATO 3152
> Aquamaxx Fr-s Biopellets Reactor

Accessories
> Steve’s LED
> Jebao 4 dosing pump using BRS 2 part
> coral box aquarium pump extender backup battery
> icecap 1k gyre flow pump

F40B9655-26E9-4851-A800-59281D39473D.jpeg 854B63BA-9EC8-4DBA-AE11-141196974B19.jpeg 5BC1FF4D-64A6-4C0E-94B7-922A1613B549.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
And it fits in the biocube 32 without mods??

I know there are quite a few that fit in the OLD biocubes but they do not fit in the newer models... (32g’s)
It should. Just about 3” round. Had biocubes in the past snd although limited for room can accommodate this

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This one just came out over the past few months. Fits in the 32 with no mods. 16 needs the floor taken out in chamber 1 if there's where you want to put it.
Well that’s great news for people that really want one but don’t want to hack up a new tank lol
Thanks for sharing! I will have to check it out!

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my Biocube 32 with Steve’s Led.

1st chamber
> Aquamaxx Fr-s Carbon Reactor
> Eheim Heater

2nd chamber
> inTank media basket with Filter floss, chemipure and refigium
> Aquatic life 115 protein skimmer
> Seachem matrix

3rd chamber
> sicce syncra 1.5 357gph Return pump
> coralife uv sterilizer
> Tunze ATO 3152
> Aquamaxx Fr-s Biopellets Reactor

Accessories
> Steve’s LED
> Jebao 4 dosing pump using BRS 2 part
> coral box aquarium pump extender backup battery
> icecap 1k gyre flow pump

F40B9655-26E9-4851-A800-59281D39473D.jpeg 854B63BA-9EC8-4DBA-AE11-141196974B19.jpeg 5BC1FF4D-64A6-4C0E-94B7-922A1613B549.jpeg
Nice looking tank but I have to ask why spend so much on what most would consider useless equipment for a nano tank?
Like: Carbon reactor, Fuge, protein skimmer, IV sterilizer, and a biopellet reactor?

to each his own but that’s a lot of upgrades when realistically for a tank this size you just need basic media and water changes....

I do like the Steve’s LED upgrade and I would have spent the money on that but I have had no issues growing anything as of yet and it’s been years so I figured why spend the extra $$ lol

ELL23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank but I have to ask why spend so much on what most would consider useless equipment for a nano tank?
Like: Carbon reactor, Fuge, protein skimmer, IV sterilizer, and a biopellet reactor?

to each his own but that’s a lot of upgrades when realistically for a tank this size you just need basic media and water changes....

I do like the Steve’s LED upgrade and I would have spent the money on that but I have had no issues growing anything as of yet and it’s been years so I figured why spend the extra $$ lol
My corals are thriving and growing with this setup of mixed reef. I have grown the hammer and fragspawn from a small 3 heads to what it is now for 2 years. So I believe my setup works great.
My zoas and gonis are all huge in size.

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals are thriving and growing with this setup of mixed reef. I have grown the hammer and fragspawn from a small 3 heads to what it is now for 2 years. So I believe my setup works great.
My zoas and gonis are all huge in size.
Yes but that’s my point... my corals are all thriving and growing as well.... but with only water changes...
If it was a larger tank like 50+ g’s then I can see adding some of the stuff but I just never got it with a nano... it’s just my experience.... this is my first nano tank but my corals grow just as well with plain old water changes then they do in my 150g tank with “the best of the best” lol
Makes you wonder lol

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Francine, lease post pictures of your tank. We all like to see successful, thriving tanks. Thanks.

ELL23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but that’s my point... my corals are all thriving and growing as well.... but with only water changes...
If it was a larger tank like 50+ g’s then I can see adding some of the stuff but I just never got it with a nano... it’s just my experience.... this is my first nano tank but my corals grow just as well with plain old water changes then they do in my 150g tank with “the best of the best” lol
Makes you wonder lol
Let’s see the thriving nano tank you have with just plain old water change. Post pictures.

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see the thriving nano tank you have with just plain old water change. Post pictures.
Absolutely! I am certainly not saying my tank is perfect by any means but I do think that a “decent” tank setup can be accomplished with just water changes but ONLY in a nano tank like we are discussing (the biocube)
Now weather or not it makes a difference I do have an AWC and so my tank does get about 1.5g’s changed daily
And then once every month or 2 I vacuum the sand, change any media that needs changing (I only use purigen- lasts about 6-8 months and chemipure elite- changed every 3 months) and I change my InTank filter floss about every 2-3 days....

I apologize for the picture taking lol that I am not fantastic at! Haha!

9E4455A2-170B-48BE-9FEE-A50C3CD01A2D.png 1710E615-607B-468E-B739-69C1182504B2.png AF99F154-2853-4F44-A512-9FDE4DCADA19.png

ReefPodd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful, thanks. Do you test your hospital tank parameters immediately or wait a bit before adding fish? (And I upgraded the return to a Tunze)

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful, thanks. Do you test your hospital tank parameters immediately or wait a bit before adding fish? (And I upgraded the return to a Tunze)
I add the fish right away.... and then I just do a quick ammonia and nitrite test but not until the end of the next day.... if you tested it right away it would be 0’s because there has to be fish waste in there to get any kind of reading.... if you just set it up and test it there would have been no source of ammonia introduced as of yet.. but I will 100% guarantee that if your baggie of Biomax or whatever has been in your DT for at least like a month it will be well cycled enough for your hospital tank.... it’s also why I throw in a small bottle of Biospira just to be certain lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Which chamber do you have your IceCap K-50 skimmer in? If it's in chamber 2 do you also have the in-tank media basket?
Both in #2

Mauldenski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! I am certainly not saying my tank is perfect by any means but I do think that a “decent” tank setup can be accomplished with just water changes but ONLY in a nano tank like we are discussing (the biocube)
Now weather or not it makes a difference I do have an AWC and so my tank does get about 1.5g’s changed daily
And then once every month or 2 I vacuum the sand, change any media that needs changing (I only use purigen- lasts about 6-8 months and chemipure elite- changed every 3 months) and I change my InTank filter floss about every 2-3 days....

I apologize for the picture taking lol that I am not fantastic at! Haha!

9E4455A2-170B-48BE-9FEE-A50C3CD01A2D.png 1710E615-607B-468E-B739-69C1182504B2.png AF99F154-2853-4F44-A512-9FDE4DCADA19.png
Looks awesome! I'm new to the hobby and have had my Biocube 32 for about two months now. It came with the Coralife Biocube Protein Skimmer, but the microbubbles it creates are making me crazy. Looks like yours is thriving just fine without one.

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add a new skimmer after my tank finishes cycling but am not familiar with popular systems and equipment and the maintenance just yet, but I am more than willing to do the research and ask around. Anyone have any suggestions? Nothing to fancy preferably, just something that can fit in the Biocube 32's first chamber and is actually efficient (I've heard some skepticism on the Biocubes Skimmers which is why I'm looking for something more optimal). Many thanks!
I've heard that the Tunze 9001 works very well in the bio cube 32. However you will have to do a small hack to it but they have videos on it on YouTube. I've watched and it's nothing serious.

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that the Tunze 9001 works very well in the bio cube 32. However you will have to do a small hack to it but they have videos on it on YouTube. I've watched and it's nothing serious.
The issue is that people do not necessarily want to spend all that money on a brand new tank and stand and then immediately VOID the warranty by tearing it apart because to add the Tunze 9001
You WILL have to void your warranty and then if your tank leaks after a month or something you are screwed....
First things first people need to realize that skimmers make VERY little difference in these small tanks... a small water change does about the same.... as long as you do weekly water changes you are golden.... look at my pictures above and tell me that water changes don’t work! Lol

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! I'm new to the hobby and have had my Biocube 32 for about two months now. It came with the Coralife Biocube Protein Skimmer, but the microbubbles it creates are making me crazy. Looks like yours is thriving just fine without one.
I am not sure what you mean by “it creates micro bubbles”
What chamber do you have it in? Mine never created any micro bubbles....

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • None.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back