Protein Skimmer Recommendations for Biocube 32?

Frankyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
The issue is that people do not necessarily want to spend all that money on a brand new tank and stand and then immediately VOID the warranty by tearing it apart because to add the Tunze 9001
You WILL have to void your warranty and then if your tank leaks after a month or something you are screwed....
First things first people need to realize that skimmers make VERY little difference in these small tanks... a small water change does about the same.... as long as you do weekly water changes you are golden.... look at my pictures above and tell me that water changes don’t work! Lol
No you dont do anything to the tank so nothing on the tank would be messed with an there wouldn't be no voided warranty on the tank. But I'll let you tell the story

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
No you dont do anything to the tank so nothing on the tank would be messed with an there wouldn't be no voided warranty on the tank. But I'll let you tell the story
You absolutely do have to Modify the 32g tank for it to fit..... you also have to then buy an InTank media rack because the stock one will not work....again... the ONLY one that will fit without modifying the tank in anyway is the Coralife one....
This is what you have to do to make the Tunze 9001 one fit:

Just google it.... InTank and many others have you tube videos on it.. maybe you are thinking about the 29g one.... the 32g is built differently

clown99

View Badges
Reaction score
I have biocube 29 for almost 2 years now. In chamber 1, I have the heater, coralife uv, 2 Apex probe. In chamber 2, I have intank media basket, with filter floss, Phosguard. Then, Tunze 9001 skimmer. In chamber 3, return pump, purigen, Tunze ATO & dosing for Alk, Ca, Mg.
This setup has been working well mostly because I do 3gal of water change every 7-10 days.
Alk 8.9 (Hannah)
Ca 480 (Salifert)
Mg 1440 (Salifert)
Nitrate 0.2 (Salifert)
Phosphate 0.01 (Hannah)

However, I don't like this setup because the Tunze 9001 is AFTER the Phosguard. That's why I moved the Purigen to chamber 3 where water flows from chamber2. So when I read about the V2 coralife skimmer that can fit in chamber 1, I bought it immediately.

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
I have biocube 29 for almost 2 years now. In chamber 1, I have the heater, coralife uv, 2 Apex probe. In chamber 2, I have intank media basket, with filter floss, Phosguard. Then, Tunze 9001 skimmer. In chamber 3, return pump, purigen, Tunze ATO & dosing for Alk, Ca, Mg.
This setup has been working well mostly because I do 3gal of water change every 7-10 days.
Alk 8.9 (Hannah)
Ca 480 (Salifert)
Mg 1440 (Salifert)
Nitrate 0.2 (Salifert)
Phosphate 0.01 (Hannah)

However, I don't like this setup because the Tunze 9001 is AFTER the Phosguard. That's why I moved the Purigen to chamber 3 where water flows from chamber2. So when I read about the V2 coralife skimmer that can fit in chamber 1, I bought it immediately.
Yes and that was my statement that it will work in a 29g but in a 32g the rear chambers are set up different and in order to put in the Tunze 9001 you need to score and let off these clips (at least 2 of them and they recommend 3) And my point was that not everyone wants to do this to a new tank and my other main point was that a protein skimmer is not even necessary in this small of a tank.

Frankyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
You absolutely do have to Modify the 32g tank for it to fit..... you also have to then buy an InTank media rack because the stock one will not work....again... the ONLY one that will fit without modifying the tank in anyway is the Coralife one....
This is what you have to do to make the Tunze 9001 one fit:

Just google it.... InTank and many others have you tube videos on it.. maybe you are thinking about the 29g one.... the 32g is built sorry bud but that's not the only video out. But like I said I'll let you tell the story

Frankyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Like I said I'll let you yell the story. You win bud you are the man!!!!! There is way more videos out the that one. Take it easy bug guy

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Like I said I'll let you yell the story. You win bud you are the man!!!!! There is way more videos out the that one. Take it easy bug guy
Every one of the videos shows that you have to remove the tabs in order for it to fit.... I know because I searched and searched when my son got his tank to see if they had finally made something that would work (I had my tank first and at that time there was again, nothing but the Coralife one) and still the only way for the Tunze one to fit is to remove the tabs.... can you find me a video that shows how you can install it properly without having to do that? I would love to see one (and this is not sarcasm I really would like to see how)
Also, again, I have found a way to make the Coralife one work better...... you just have to replace the pump it comes with, with the Tetra Whisper 10g pump.... and it works 100% better then using the stock one and it’s a cheap fix.....
But again, there really is no need at all to even have a skimmer in this small of a tank.... IF you do your water changes properly... and often enough...

and Also.... I am the WOMAN not the man....

600E77A8-0531-43A3-A764-62E4EE6564FC.jpeg

Corals.com

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, your ARE the woman, Francine. And you are absolutely, 100% correct. I'm unsure why anyone would want a skimmer in chamber 2 following mechanical filtration anyway.

Frankyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Here’s my Biocube 32 with Steve’s Led.

1st chamber
> Aquamaxx Fr-s Carbon Reactor
> Eheim Heater

2nd chamber
> inTank media basket with Filter floss, chemipure and refigium
> Aquatic life 115 protein skimmer
> Seachem matrix

3rd chamber
> sicce syncra 1.5 357gph Return pump
> coralife uv sterilizer
> Tunze ATO 3152
> Aquamaxx Fr-s Biopellets Reactor

Accessories
> Steve’s LED
> Jebao 4 dosing pump using BRS 2 part
> coral box aquarium pump extender backup battery
> icecap 1k gyre flow pump

F40B9655-26E9-4851-A800-59281D39473D.jpeg 854B63BA-9EC8-4DBA-AE11-141196974B19.jpeg 5BC1FF4D-64A6-4C0E-94B7-922A1613B549.jpeg
I hope mine turns out like yours

Do you have a VISION for your reef tank?

• YES a vision and a plan

Votes: 110 51.4%
  • YES a vision but not much planing

Votes: 37 17.3%
  • NO vision just creating as I go

Votes: 61 28.5%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 6 2.8%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors