Protein Skimmer Recommendations for Biocube 32?

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is that people do not necessarily want to spend all that money on a brand new tank and stand and then immediately VOID the warranty by tearing it apart because to add the Tunze 9001
You WILL have to void your warranty and then if your tank leaks after a month or something you are screwed....
First things first people need to realize that skimmers make VERY little difference in these small tanks... a small water change does about the same.... as long as you do weekly water changes you are golden.... look at my pictures above and tell me that water changes don’t work! Lol
No you dont do anything to the tank so nothing on the tank would be messed with an there wouldn't be no voided warranty on the tank. But I'll let you tell the story

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you dont do anything to the tank so nothing on the tank would be messed with an there wouldn't be no voided warranty on the tank. But I'll let you tell the story
You absolutely do have to Modify the 32g tank for it to fit..... you also have to then buy an InTank media rack because the stock one will not work....again... the ONLY one that will fit without modifying the tank in anyway is the Coralife one....
This is what you have to do to make the Tunze 9001 one fit:

Just google it.... InTank and many others have you tube videos on it.. maybe you are thinking about the 29g one.... the 32g is built differently

clown99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have biocube 29 for almost 2 years now. In chamber 1, I have the heater, coralife uv, 2 Apex probe. In chamber 2, I have intank media basket, with filter floss, Phosguard. Then, Tunze 9001 skimmer. In chamber 3, return pump, purigen, Tunze ATO & dosing for Alk, Ca, Mg.
This setup has been working well mostly because I do 3gal of water change every 7-10 days.
Alk 8.9 (Hannah)
Ca 480 (Salifert)
Mg 1440 (Salifert)
Nitrate 0.2 (Salifert)
Phosphate 0.01 (Hannah)

However, I don't like this setup because the Tunze 9001 is AFTER the Phosguard. That's why I moved the Purigen to chamber 3 where water flows from chamber2. So when I read about the V2 coralife skimmer that can fit in chamber 1, I bought it immediately.

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have biocube 29 for almost 2 years now. In chamber 1, I have the heater, coralife uv, 2 Apex probe. In chamber 2, I have intank media basket, with filter floss, Phosguard. Then, Tunze 9001 skimmer. In chamber 3, return pump, purigen, Tunze ATO & dosing for Alk, Ca, Mg.
This setup has been working well mostly because I do 3gal of water change every 7-10 days.
Alk 8.9 (Hannah)
Ca 480 (Salifert)
Mg 1440 (Salifert)
Nitrate 0.2 (Salifert)
Phosphate 0.01 (Hannah)

However, I don't like this setup because the Tunze 9001 is AFTER the Phosguard. That's why I moved the Purigen to chamber 3 where water flows from chamber2. So when I read about the V2 coralife skimmer that can fit in chamber 1, I bought it immediately.
Yes and that was my statement that it will work in a 29g but in a 32g the rear chambers are set up different and in order to put in the Tunze 9001 you need to score and let off these clips (at least 2 of them and they recommend 3) And my point was that not everyone wants to do this to a new tank and my other main point was that a protein skimmer is not even necessary in this small of a tank.

Mauldenski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what you mean by “it creates micro bubbles”
What chamber do you have it in? Mine never created any micro bubbles....
Hi! I have it in chamber 3. It seems to have settled in now and the microbubbles in the display have subsided.

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You absolutely do have to Modify the 32g tank for it to fit..... you also have to then buy an InTank media rack because the stock one will not work....again... the ONLY one that will fit without modifying the tank in anyway is the Coralife one....
This is what you have to do to make the Tunze 9001 one fit:

Just google it.... InTank and many others have you tube videos on it.. maybe you are thinking about the 29g one.... the 32g is built sorry bud but that's not the only video out. But like I said I'll let you tell the story

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said I'll let you yell the story. You win bud you are the man!!!!! There is way more videos out the that one. Take it easy bug guy

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said I'll let you yell the story. You win bud you are the man!!!!! There is way more videos out the that one. Take it easy bug guy
Every one of the videos shows that you have to remove the tabs in order for it to fit.... I know because I searched and searched when my son got his tank to see if they had finally made something that would work (I had my tank first and at that time there was again, nothing but the Coralife one) and still the only way for the Tunze one to fit is to remove the tabs.... can you find me a video that shows how you can install it properly without having to do that? I would love to see one (and this is not sarcasm I really would like to see how)
Also, again, I have found a way to make the Coralife one work better...... you just have to replace the pump it comes with, with the Tetra Whisper 10g pump.... and it works 100% better then using the stock one and it’s a cheap fix.....
But again, there really is no need at all to even have a skimmer in this small of a tank.... IF you do your water changes properly... and often enough...

and Also.... I am the WOMAN not the man....

600E77A8-0531-43A3-A764-62E4EE6564FC.jpeg

VashonBigs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get this. You can double your water volume. ;);)

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, your ARE the woman, Francine. And you are absolutely, 100% correct. I'm unsure why anyone would want a skimmer in chamber 2 following mechanical filtration anyway.

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my Biocube 32 with Steve’s Led.

1st chamber
> Aquamaxx Fr-s Carbon Reactor
> Eheim Heater

2nd chamber
> inTank media basket with Filter floss, chemipure and refigium
> Aquatic life 115 protein skimmer
> Seachem matrix

3rd chamber
> sicce syncra 1.5 357gph Return pump
> coralife uv sterilizer
> Tunze ATO 3152
> Aquamaxx Fr-s Biopellets Reactor

Accessories
> Steve’s LED
> Jebao 4 dosing pump using BRS 2 part
> coral box aquarium pump extender backup battery
> icecap 1k gyre flow pump

F40B9655-26E9-4851-A800-59281D39473D.jpeg 854B63BA-9EC8-4DBA-AE11-141196974B19.jpeg 5BC1FF4D-64A6-4C0E-94B7-922A1613B549.jpeg
I hope mine turns out like yours

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope mine turns out like yours

Your tank looks great!!

I will be honest.... to keep a Fuge in that small of an area (the bottom of the InTank rack) does not do much.... I have in mine- Floss (InTank’s blue/white stuff), then Purigen, then chemipure elite.... then I also have the InTank Fuge box next to it and I use it for a big bag of biomax or matrix... and I use that Incase I have an emergency need for a hospital tank.... then I have a 20g tank, and an AC HOB filter and a sponge and I just have to pop in the bag of media... some purigen and the sponge or some Filter floss.... then I have no worries about not having an established hospital tank with BB in it.... if my fish are going into a hospital tank.... chances are they are already quite sick and stressed so they don’t need the added stress of having to deal with ammonia/nitrite and I don’t have to do daily water changes to keep it safe lol Then I just purchase new stuff (ALL new media) and new plumbing tubes (or whatever you call them lol ) in case there are meds soaked into the stuff..... the biggest thing with tanks this small is that not a lot of stuff makes a big difference... water changes are the best thing you can do for your tank.... and that’s why I have the auto aqua ato and awc.... it was cheap and works great... I am able to change out a couple gallon a day and then about once a month or a bit sooner I do a manual water change and vacuum the sand..... but I keep nassarius snails and Cerith snails do my sand stays nice and clean/stirred up anyway :)

Lololo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bigger tanks now, but on my biocube 32. I use https://www.chewy.com/aquatic-life-protein-mini-skimmer-30/dp/146150?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Aquatic Life&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpbb_8qyI4AIVkMDACh3iYQ9qEAQYAyABEgL7AvD_BwE
It really is insanely good. I tried tunze, RO, everything before and this actually works best for the biocube IMO.

And the price is right, can’t beat that.
Did it work on the Biocube 32g chamber 1?

Lololo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers on nano tanks are pretty much a waste of money. They are inefficient, poorly designed, and tend to add micro bubbles. They will help with pH which is nice but aside from that you can have all the nutrient export you need from water changes.

Tldr: send me the $150 you'll spend on a skimmer because it's just about as good as buying the skimmer, except if you DM me I'll actually answer your questions
I had the Coralife skimmer for 3 weeks and that garbage don’t even work properly lol it falls out mess got it out of my tank and like u said creating micro bubbles for no reason I’m go with the ono skimmer in Biocube option Don’t think is necessary I have the
intank media and also the refugium With chaeto that should be good and some water changes weekly

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you do your proper water changes there is no need what so ever to spend money on a protein skimmer... there are many better things you can spend it on.... like Coral and Fish!!! Lol

Lololo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you do your proper water changes there is no need what so ever to spend money on a protein skimmer... there are many better things you can spend it on.... like Coral and Fish!!! Lol
Thank you I will take ur advice it’s been 2 days now and I see it better with no skimmer before it create these micro bubble on my tank it’s gone now. Should I invest in a media reactor later on?

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will take ur advice it’s been 2 days now and I see it better with no skimmer before it create these micro bubble on my tank it’s gone now. Should I invest in a media reactor later on?
Again... it’s another thing that’s not necessary to spend money on is a small tank like this.... you don’t even need to add anything to your tank (supplements etc) if you use a good salt to start with and then do your water changes...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back