Protein Skimmer run time and your tank!

How often are you running your protein skimmer?

• Always 24/7

Votes: 1,035 91.5%
  • During the day only?

Votes: 25 2.2%
  • During the evening only?

Votes: 20 1.8%
  • Every other day?

Votes: 10 0.9%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 41 3.6%

• Total voters

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon with about 15 gallons in the sump, so maybe 85-90 gallons total water volume. It has SPS corals and a pretty heavy fish load. It is over a year old and starting to mature. I use an old Reef Octo 6" ID X 28" (Total) tall recirculating skimmer, that I've had for like 10 years. It runs 24/7. The only other nutrient control in place besides rock is a tiny bit of GFO that I don't change often.

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 tanks.
1) 24/7 50 gal 6-line, filefish, orchid
2) sometimes 75 gal blue tang. tail spotted, percula
3) skimmerless but planning to set one up. 20 gal 2 ocellaris, royal gramma

all soft corals

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, maybe I can pick up some advice for my build.

I will be building a Reefer 250 (65 gallons total volume). I have a Reef Octopus Regal 150INT 6" skimmer that will be used in this system. BRS rates it at 100 gallon for heavy bioload and 210 for light bioload. I do not plan to have more than 6 or 7 fish in the system, so the skimmer would be way too much for a medium bioload at most.

My thought is to run the skimmer while im at work (6am-6pm) and then off when I am home to keep noise levels down (I live in an apartment and the tank is in the living room/kitchen).

Would 12 hours of skimming be enough, or is there no benefit to turning it off and on throughout the day?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, maybe I can pick up some advice for my build.

I will be building a Reefer 250 (65 gallons total volume). I have a Reef Octopus Regal 150INT 6" skimmer that will be used in this system. BRS rates it at 100 gallon for heavy bioload and 210 for light bioload. I do not plan to have more than 6 or 7 fish in the system, so the skimmer would be way too much for a medium bioload at most.

My thought is to run the skimmer while im at work (6am-6pm) and then off when I am home to keep noise levels down (I live in an apartment and the tank is in the living room/kitchen).

Would 12 hours of skimming be enough, or is there no benefit to turning it off and on throughout the day?
They really aren’t loud. I can’t hear mine at all. Especially a regal. Your tank is lowest in oxygen at night due to a slight drop in pH. So not running your skimmer at night would make the oxygen levels even lower. But your tank makes most of its waste during the day, so it’s good to skim during the day to. I think that’s why 95% of people are running it 24/7.
It’s funny I feel like I hear people say to turn the skimmer off, but these poll results are showing maybe those people are just incredibly outspoken and want others to turn theirs off for some reason lol.

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really aren’t loud. I can’t hear mine at all. Especially a regal. Your tank is lowest in oxygen at night due to a slight drop in pH. So not running your skimmer at night would make the oxygen levels even lower. But your tank makes most of its waste during the day, so it’s good to skim during the day to. I think that’s why 95% of people are running it 24/7.
It’s funny I feel like I hear people say to turn the skimmer off, but these poll results are showing maybe those people are just incredibly outspoken and want others to turn theirs off for some reason lol.
Thanks for the input! I'm not even worried about the noise as much, but want to avoid over skimming. I got the skimmer in a package deal from someone breaking down their tank, so I am just going to go with it. I guess I can add an additional fish or two!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! I'm not even worried about the noise as much, but want to avoid over skimming. I got the skimmer in a package deal from someone breaking down their tank, so I am just going to go with it. I guess I can add an additional fish or two!
For sure! That’s going to be a sweet tank!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not over skim, unless you are doing a very wet skim and then your ATO will add too much fresh water changing your salinity. A skimmer operates on the principle that the more crud in your water the more it will remove up to a point. If your water is super clean you may not even get many bubbles.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... but want to avoid over skimming...

Better to have excess capacity and be able to cut back than not have enough. While my skimmer runs 24/7, I adjust it to run drier or wetter depending on the state of the tank. It's running very dry right now and I think the coral colors are better. When algae starts to increase too much, I'll adjust it to skim wetter. Personally, I do think that a skimmer can reduce some organic compounds (proteins) that might benefit some corals. However, I also think if reasonable care is used, their "overskimming" potential is overstated.

The issue I've always had with turning my skimmer on and off is maintaining the level I want. Maybe newer skimmers do a better job at that.

drspiroraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see a difference with skimming and not skimming, but I have a tank that has to be dosed with NO3 and PO4 everyday to keep them from dropping to zero. I currently do not skim.

Excuse my ignorance but Isn’t that the idea to have zero NO4 and PO4?

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my skimmer 24x7 and clean out the skimmer cup once a week.

System water volume: ~1600 gallons
Fish count: 59 I think
Coral types: SPS & LPS & Softies
3350eb402634610e2c8f6082a9fda905.jpg
1a44787d7c62f59a28f267ecea459167.jpg

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60g Mixed Reef w/ SPS
Heavy Bioload
Run Triton w/ Refugium
No Filter socks

I run my skimmer 24/7 except on the nights (3 x a week) that I feed phytoplankton or if I restock pods. I find phyto gets skimmed out way too fast, so skimmer stays off for at least 8 hrs after dosing.

Back