Protein Skimmer - what model would be best for my setup?

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m new to the reef hobby (~5 months) and I’m looking to purchase a protein skimmer for my tank. The issue I’m having is that I can’t find a protein skimmer with the appropriate recommended water level height. My setup is:
-Aqueon rimmed 40G breeder tank
-Fiji Cube AIO (skimmer compartment dimensions are 4.4” x 6.7”)
- water column height in AIO is ~13”

finding a protein skimmer with the correct footprint is easy enough, the problem I’m finding is that the recommended water level seem to vary between 6-10” depending on the models.

I guess I’m ultimately looking for suggestions on a protein skimmer or if this is a common issue with AIOs? Is the recommended water level a make/break on protein skimmer efficiency (I’m assuming yes)?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their are a lot of good skimmers out there but I’ve been partial to the octo regal series as it has a built in auto shut off so as to to not overflow the cup . Plus they are great skimmers . Depending on the size of your opening a 150 int model might suit your needs . Good luck !!! :cool: Plus it’s adjustable to water levels

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their are a lot of good skimmers out there but I’ve been partial to the octo regal series as it has a built in auto shut off so as to to not overflow the cup . Plus they are great skimmers . Depending on the size of your opening a 150 int model might suit your needs . Good luck !!! :cool: Plus it’s adjustable to water levels
It’s def over my price range atm, but I’ll have to keep in mind when I upgrade lol. In the meantime, Notorious recommended a protein skimmer stand that I’ll probably try out!

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! I haven’t come across this before, didn’t even realize it’s a thing! Quick google and Amazon has one that can raise up to 6”.
Another option. Marinepure blocks cut to size (very easy to do) and stacked as needed. Has the added benefit of more bio filtration anyway. I have my skimmer on a 8x8x1 block to raise it up 1” for over a year.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is a 40 breeder I would get a small skimmer, maybe a Simplicity DC 120, if the sump is NOT rimmed I would look into a Tune 9004.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Simplicity skimmer. It skims like mad. I would recommend one. And like suggested you can adjust the height by putting something underneath it.

As you get more advanced they do have recirculating skimmers where the water level height is not an issue. But they are expensive. Maybe something for down the line.

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Simplicity skimmer. It skims like mad. I would recommend one. And like suggested you can adjust the height by putting something underneath it.

As you get more advanced they do have recirculating skimmers where the water level height is not an issue. But they are expensive. Maybe something for down the line.

Simplicity 120 is a great skimmer.

Thank you for the kind words gents!

Back