Protein Skimmer

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to reefing and looking at buying a protein skimmer. I know it varies on a lot of different things so here is what i have so far.
tank is 180.5 Waterbox. We plan on doing mixed reef over time, easy corals to start. Eventually we want 2 clowns (we currently have these in QT)
Tangs, gobys (eventually I really want a mandarin dragonet) maybe some blennies, clean up crew (potentially emerald crab, cleaner shrimp, snails, etc) chocolate chip star in the sump, etc. potentially (most likely) adding more to the list as we become more experienced.

I’ve been looking at the AquaVitro Division 250 because I love the look of it. Not that looks matter as much obviously but it’s such a nice looking design compared to some others. I can’t really find any reviews about it though. Anyone have any suggestions?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
New to reefing and looking at buying a protein skimmer. I know it varies on a lot of different things so here is what i have so far.
tank is 180.5 Waterbox. We plan on doing mixed reef over time, easy corals to start. Eventually we want 2 clowns (we currently have these in QT)
Tangs, gobys (eventually I really want a mandarin dragonet) maybe some blennies, clean up crew (potentially emerald crab, cleaner shrimp, snails, etc) chocolate chip star in the sump, etc. potentially (most likely) adding more to the list as we become more experienced.

I’ve been looking at the AquaVitro Division 250 because I love the look of it. Not that looks matter as much obviously but it’s such a nice looking design compared to some others. I can’t really find any reviews about it though. Anyone have any suggestions?
Over looks, go for performance
Best ones are:
Aqua Maxx
Reef Octopus
Bubble magnus
Nyos

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen one of those skimmer before, so obviously I have no idea about it, but if you decide to go with another brand Reef Octopus makes really good skimmers IMO.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef and to the hobby! :)

I personally wouldn't use a skimmer as it skews the microbial processes in reef systems. But if you decide to use one these article are good for understanding more about them, what they do and don't do and how they're all pretty much the same (bubbles is bubbles). Here are some videos you may find informative on microbial stuff and Dissolved ORganic Carbon (DOC).

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 1

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 2

Elemental Analysis of Skimmate

Bacterial Counts in Reef Aquarium Water

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef and to the hobby! :)

I personally wouldn't use a skimmer as it skews the microbial processes in reef systems. But if you decide to use one these article are good for understanding more about them, what they do and don't do and how they're all pretty much the same (bubbles is bubbles). Here are some videos you may find informative on microbial stuff and Dissolved ORganic Carbon (DOC).

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 1

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 2

Elemental Analysis of Skimmate

Bacterial Counts in Reef Aquarium Water

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

We don’t intend on adding one right away but I’m thinking later this year/early next year. Doing my due diligence and researching well in advance before I buy will definitely watch these! Thank you!

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the 500 and I really like it.
Reef octopus makes basic protein skimmers that have been in the game a long time and work well.
Not a bad start their.
Hths you.
D
I’m not a fan of the look of the Reef Octopus. I know functionality is way more important but I literally am so picky I guess if it comes down to it and it’s going to be the best option then I won’t have a choice. Haha

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. After initial start and break in. When you set it to the correct height. The only time you really.see.it is when you empty the cup. Lol.
Its not.like a.car where you drive it around all the time and everyone sees you with it.
I don't show my family my fish poo and pee catcher. LoL!
Know what I'm saying?
The lifereef.protein skimmer is one of the ugliest oldest.models yet ppl will argue its the best on the market.

If what it looks like matters. Go with a wine bottle body shape type protein skimmer. They are.some.of the nicest looking sharpest looking.
Hths u
D

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. After initial start and break in. When you set it to the correct height. The only time you really.see.it is when you empty the cup. Lol.
Its not.like a.car where you drive it around all the time and everyone sees you with it.
I don't show my family my fish poo and pee catcher. LoL!
Know what I'm saying?
The lifereef.protein skimmer is one of the ugliest oldest.models yet ppl will argue its the best on the market.

If what it looks like matters. Go with a wine bottle body shape type protein skimmer. They are.some.of the nicest looking sharpest looking.
Hths u
D
Oddly enough, my friends and family want to see everything when it’s done hahaha I know looks don’t matter at all, but if I can find something functional that also looks ****** when it’s set up I’ll go that route.
I built my own PC (very different I know) and I’m the only one who sees it but the RGB lighting looks so nice so I think that’s why I care it’s stupid I know hahaha

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aquamax RC2 for my 109 bow and I love it! Only problem is ot does have a larger footprint.

It was broken in and skimming like a champ in 2 days.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back