Protein skimmer

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a evo 13.5 reef tank. An I got the p2 protein skimmer for it...how in hell lol do u tune it an what should it look like when turned right? Appreciate the help

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PS/2 is partially effective under some conditions. It's really quite fiddly, and you'll have to adjust the air intake carefully to pull so-so amounts of skimmate; there's really no trick aside from making sure that your water line remains at 3/4 in the "shaded" zone of the tank and the unit is oriented correctly in the chamber. I got tired of daily, minute adjustments and bought an Icecap K-1 Nano and plunked it into chamber one. It's so much more effective.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Honestly I cant stand this skimmer- finicky is not the word. Recommended: Ice Cap K1-50 skimmer

OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea am starting to see that..so I just order the ice cap...so I just take the p2 an guesssin the ice cap slide in chamber one?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's the K1-Nano, then yes -- the best fit is in Chamber One (or chamber three, but I have other equipment in there). You will not be able to use the surface skimmer correctly this way, but that's the price of installation.

It's probably best if you put some type of structure underneath the unit to support it -- the chamber is deeper than what you'll need -- but I find that you can perch the skimmer body on the lip of the Evo at just about the right level. You don't even need to use the mounting bracket.

The output valve is great, but you'll still need to maintain proper water levels in your tank for greatest efficacy. Try not to let your water fall below a third of the tank's "shaded" zone.

OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's the K1-Nano, then yes -- the best fit is in Chamber One (or chamber three, but I have other equipment in there). You will not be able to use the surface skimmer correctly this way, but that's the price of installation.

It's probably best if you put some type of structure underneath the unit to support it -- the chamber is deeper than what you'll need -- but I find that you can perch the skimmer body on the lip of the Evo at just about the right level. You don't even need to use the mounting bracket.

The output valve is great, but you'll still need to maintain proper water levels in your tank for greatest efficacy. Try not to let your water fall below a third of the tank's "shaded" zone.
Yes it's the k1..an I do have a auto refill with ros water so I will double check an make sure hose are at right height..should be here Friday..an was planning on using in chamber 1..have pump an heater in 3 an filtration in 2

OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

An why won't I be able to us the surface skimmer?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really reduces the efficacy of it because the unit maintains a steady water level between the display and Chamber One; in theory, the optimal water level in Chamber One is below that of the display so that the "filter" can work effectively and draw surface detritus into whatever media you would've put in the chamber.

InTank manufactures a plastic lip which fits inside Chamber One to increase efficacy of the filter skimmer; you'd have to put it on the outside, which isn't as great, but it will still help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really reduces the efficacy of it because the unit maintains a steady water level between the display and Chamber One; in theory, the optimal water level in Chamber One is below that of the display so that the "filter" can work effectively and draw surface detritus into whatever media you would've put in the chamber.

InTank manufactures a plastic lip which fits inside Chamber One to increase efficacy of the filter skimmer; you'd have to put it on the outside, which isn't as great, but it will still help.
Could I put the skimmer in chamber 2..or would it be better to have in chamber 1..only reason am asking u said to put something under it bec the chamber 1 to deep but I saw on etsy a guy has a stand for that skimmer for chamber 2..

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would probably fit, but I've got a light in the way, and can't measure it easily myself. I'd check the dimensions of the chambers and confirm.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to the guy an he's goin to make me one for chamber 1 so think that's where am goin put it ..
Remember that you don't really need one for Chamber One, though: if you take a look at the unit, there's a figure-eight type of plastic device that connects the water valve to the main venturi chamber. That extends out a bit, and it's that plastic that will rest on the top of the tank. The K1 does extend quite a bit above the Evo, unlike the PS/2. However, unlike the PS/2, the K1 actually works.

OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that you don't really need one for Chamber One, though: if you take a look at the unit, there's a figure-eight type of plastic device that connects the water valve to the main venturi chamber. That extends out a bit, and it's that plastic that will rest on the top of the tank. The K1 does extend quite a bit above the Evo, unlike the PS/2. However, unlike the PS/2, the K1 actually works.
Oh ok I understand..I don't have it yet be here Friday..an I saw it was way taller lol but if it work all that matters

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back