Protein Skimmers…necessary??

Aubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am trying to determine if I need a protein skimmer for my 20 gallon long (FOWLR).

(I have 4 fish: 2 clowns, dwarf angel and an orchid dottyback)

Everything I’m finding looks VERY expensive (and complicated), but a few labeled “surface” protein skimmers are more affordable…what is the difference/do I need one at all?

I would love advice and guidance!

thank you ☺️

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s few good skimmers made for 20 gal tanks and they are not performing that well.
I would run 20 gal FOWLR without skimmer. Fish can tolerate higher level of nitrates, the only problem could be phosphates, but you could run RowPhos in HOB filter.

OP
OP
Aubz

Aubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s few good skimmers made for 20 gal tanks and they are not performing that well.
I would run 20 gal FOWLR without skimmer. Fish can tolerate higher level of nitrates, the only problem could be phosphates, but you could run RowPhos in HOB filter.
Thanks!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time when I hear surface skimmer it is talking about a filter that pulls water from the the waters surface and isn’t a protein skimmer (in the traditional sense). You may be referring to something I’m not aware of though.

With it being a 20g tank I would probably go without a skimmer and then just add one of you feel like it’s needed for nutrient control or aeration. IMO as tanks get smaller the need to run a protein skimmer gets reduced. I have a 125g and 100g tank that I wouldn’t even consider not running a skimmer, but I also just setup a 15g that I likely won’t run a skimmer on. If nutrients become an issue they’re easy to fix with water changes on a small tank.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein skimmers aren't necessary. There are some hob ones you can find on amazon for not too much if you want one. It really just depends on if its accomplishing what you want it to do

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents...I would say IF you have the space, go with a hang-on Back; as mentioned, Amazon has reasonably priced some. I also have a 20gal (reef), and for me, I decided to go with a 50gal Hang on back because I get lazy on water changes...and tend to skip them when I am a little too busy...So I say, look at your daily schedule and plan to see if you will keep up with your water changes or not...Just my 2 cents...

Attachments

• 20220404_182245.jpg
    20220404_182245.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 22

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back