Protein Skimmers

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Pretty new to the hobby and i'm currently planning out my build. What is a quality HOB protein skimmer that isn't going to take up a huge amount of space? I was suggested the Reef Octopus classic 90 but it looks pretty massive on the tank and I don't have much space between my tank and the wall. Price isn't my biggest worry. Just quality and sleek.

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Pretty new to the hobby and i'm currently planning out my build. What is a quality HOB protein skimmer that isn't going to take up a huge amount of space? I was suggested the Reef Octopus classic 90 but it looks pretty massive on the tank and I don't have much space between my tank and the wall. Price isn't my biggest worry. Just quality and sleek.

Thanks in advance
Also forgot to mention its a 75 gallon 48x18x20

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze comline, Aquamaxx - they are out there. But, HOB are always going to seem large and be an eyesore. If it is a possibility, consider adding a sump - you will be glad you did for a whole range of reasons...
I've thought of a sump but honestly it look pretty complicated and i'm mostly DIY type. Is it possible to add a sump 6 months down the line or does it need to be done pre-cycling

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought of a sump but honestly it look pretty complicated and i'm mostly DIY type. Is it possible to add a sump 6 months down the line or does it need to be done pre-cycling

If you wait, then it is going to cost you more money since you will have just dumped cash into HOB items and then need to replace those with in-sump items. Best to make the switch now... it's really not complicated to setup a sump... actually fun if you like DIY projects!

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wait, then it is going to cost you more money since you will have just dumped cash into HOB items and then need to replace those with in-sump items. Best to make the switch now... it's really not complicated to setup a sump... actually fun if you like DIY projects!
I guess what I mean to say is that I've already put $1,000 in the tank and that's without water. I'd prefer an option where I can add as I go instead of throwing $300 at a sump(cost more than my tank) then spending the next month plumbing. Since I posted I'm pretty convinced I'm going to go with a sump. Are external overflows a no-no or is it better to just hold off and drill?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what I mean to say is that I've already put $1,000 in the tank and that's without water. I'd prefer an option where I can add as I go instead of throwing $300 at a sump(cost more than my tank) then spending the next month plumbing. Since I posted I'm pretty convinced I'm going to go with a sump. Are external overflows a no-no or is it better to just hold off and drill?

Concerning sump's, buying apre-made sump is a waste of money, in my opinion... just a bunch of expensive acrylic. I would recommend getting a 40g breeder and put your own baffles in, etc... then you have the compartments the size and depth you want them. You can look at my build thread and i have detailed pics on how i built my 40g breeder sump. Cost isn't much for a 40g tank (maybe $50), $35 to have glass baffles cut, $10 silicone tube...see, pretty cheap! Then take the money you saved by not buying that crazy name-brand sump and put it toward a nice Tunze 9410 skimmer (I really, really like mine...fool-proof setup).

As for HOB skimmers, i don't have any experience with them... but i hear they are really loud!

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170622_185737.jpg

My sump... leak testing it.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps are a game changer. It really makes things easier and that makes things more enjoyable. I have one tank with and one without. You will be glad you did. It’s a great diy project and everyone here can give you all the info and tips you would ever need.

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's the route I'm going to go. Ive been researching and lurking the subs the past 3 months and if I've learned anything it's to just be patient. Really wanted to put water in the tank for the birthday this weekend but looks like I'm turning it into a diy project instead. Thanks!

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a non drilled tank. I used HOB stuff and made it work, but it was always a challenge. New tank with sump now. I agree with a previous poster- game changer. Once you go sump, you never go back

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try the aquatop xyclone skimmer. It's designed for both hang on and in sump. I have one and run it hanging on my sump, to free up space. It took about a month to fully break in, and works great.

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps are a game changer. It really makes things easier and that makes things more enjoyable. I have one tank with and one without. You will be glad you did. It’s a great diy project and everyone here can give you all the info and tips you would ever need.
In theory could I install an overflow and just shut off the valves till i build the sump? That way i can start the cycle while I plumb for my sump

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to break it to you but $1,000 for a 75 is nothing. Budget at least $25 low end, more like $50/gallon once stocked and up and running. As has been said, going the 40 breeder route is pretty affordable, and if you DIY - totally within reach. You'll just need to drill the tank for a reliable overflow.

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to break it to you but $1,000 for a 75 is nothing. Budget at least $25 low end, more like $50/gallon once stocked and up and running. As has been said, going the 40 breeder route is pretty affordable, and if you DIY - totally within reach. You'll just need to drill the tank for a reliable overflow.
I'm aware that's nothing. That's pre water and no lights. The point isn't the cost, more I'm anxious to get water in the tank.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the red sea e170 because it was an all in one $1500. I ended up buying the sump kit for it within 6 months which was another $300. Wish I would have jus bought the reefer 170 that was not the all in one but comes with sump from the start and put the $300 i spent on the sump into a better skimmer. Pitting a sump on a running tank was a pain and caused a swing in parameters and a diatom out break followed quickly by a cyano outbreak, it was a pain. Do a sump upfront you wont regret it, just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided what i'm going to do. I'm going to go ahead with the original plan and get water in the tank this weekend. In a couple months, i'm going to drain most of the tank and drill holes then. I know it's risky but i've been researching and have seen it done. If i get cold feet then i'm just going to go ahead and get the Lifereef hob overflow.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided what i'm going to do. I'm going to go ahead with the original plan and get water in the tank this weekend. In a couple months, i'm going to drain most of the tank and drill holes then. I know it's risky but i've been researching and have seen it done. If i get cold feet then i'm just going to go ahead and get the Lifereef hob overflow.
Why put water in the tank if you are going to tear down to drill? Are you curing rock? Otherwise, I would drill first then use the valves you mentioned to shut off and that way you can add sump as needed and still have tank cycling and such even adding animals if you are slow getting sump going.

Elennon19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reef Octopus bh1000 has worked great for me. It is a little big but works well. I used it on my 75 gallon until I upgraded tanks. I still use it every once in a while on a 40 gallon for emergencies or a temporary setup while I am moving to a new place.

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why put water in the tank if you are going to tear down to drill? Are you curing rock? Otherwise, I would drill first then use the valves you mentioned to shut off and that way you can add sump as needed and still have tank cycling and such even adding animals if you are slow getting sump going.
No one really answered that question, till you. So it's possible to attach the overflow then just use ball valves till I add a sump later on? I wasn't planning on adding livestock till after drilling. Just wanted to get the cycle going and from what i've seen drilling vertically while the tank has water in it isn't bad as long as you take the necessary precautions to prevent glass dust from getting into the tank

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back