Protein Skimmers

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by Tallison, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory Well-Known Member

If drilling vertically [i've done it] cover the back of the hole with duck tape and spray the area with water. The bigger issue is keeping things cool while drilling. I soaked a papertowel with cold, refrigerated water and stuffed it into the center of my hole saw drill bit. This allowed the cold water to be 'whipped' out while drilling. I'd also put a towel underneath where you're drilling. You shouldn't have any issues with not having the sump set up while cycling the rock int he tank. Like you said, just use a ball valve [or don't fill the tank up all the way]. Make sure that you have flow in the tank though while cycling [throw a powerhead or two on the glass]

Idoc likes this.

2. Tallison

Tallison Well-Known Member

Thanks, I think this is the route i'm going to take. I just graduated and my 35 grand a year salary doesn't exactly allow me to put up a bunch of money up front and i'm not patient enough for a 5 month build. I just recently got the mp-10s so i'm covered on flow. Did you start at a 45 degree angle then flatten out? I'm thinking of taping a large cup over my drilling template to catch any debris that come out. My biggest worry is cracking the glass but this is something i risk doing now anyways

3. Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory Well-Known Member

Just take your time, I didn't start at any particular angle, but I would definitely recommend testing on another piece of glass first. When I drilled my first tank I had never done it before and didn't practice and the hole turned out fine, but a little ugly and nerve wracking. I would get a cheap 5-10 gallon from Petco for $10 and test on that by doing a hole or two to get the hang of it. All I can say about drilling is when you read people say to take it really slow, that is definitely the trick to no cracks. Also be sure it's not tempered lol

I do start off my holes at a slight angle to get one side of the bit to "dig in" to the glass. When the bit first hits the glass, it'll want to jump all over so that's why I think it's important to get the hang of starting the cut on a scrap/cheap piece of glass. If you have a guide that came with your overflow kit, then practicing IMO isn't necessary

DeniseAndy likes this.
  4. Fishmantim

Fishmantim Well-Known Member

Good choice on lifereef best skimmer on the market tried many other skimmers none compare to lifereef my 2 cents good luck

Tallison likes this.
  5. anit77

anit77 Well-Known Member

I read up for a year and a half before I started my system and it was 2yrs before water was in the tank. I'm not saying you need to take that long but but you're already breaking the 1st rule of reefing and rushing to get started. You'll be much happier in the end if you slow down to speed up. Instead of getting water in the tank for your birthday (Happy Birthday BTW) maybe shoot for Xmas or New Years. You can cycle rock in a brute can with a powerhead and heater while you plan out and setup the system. This gives you the best of both worlds. You've got water flowing on your Bday and the time to start your system right with less headaches in the end.

DeniseAndy likes this.
  6. Tallison

No doubt but a man can only be pushed so far. I'm ready for a long cycle and a year for my tank to mature to add some more established fish I want. Just wanted something to do for the birthday ya know? Thanks btw

7. DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy Well-Known Member

Yep. I have ball valves on my large tank to control the flow into the sump and out of the sump. I would never try drilling vertically, but that is me. More guts than I have. I like the idea of curing rock outside the tank and you can even cycle the rock after a bit of curing too in the tub. Then when you set up your tank and it is ready for livestock, add the rock and you are all set. No cycle on the large tank.

8. Pntbll687

Pntbll687 Active Member

I went the DIY route for an overflow, wish I had spent some extra money and went with a true overflow thats drilled in. My DIY works, but doesnt allow me to have a top on the tank, and gets bubbles in it, which become noisy after a while.

Do yourself a favor and get a good overflow. The eshopps eclipse series comes with a template and drill bit.
    http://www.eshopps.com/products/overflowboxes/

Tallison likes this.
  9. ReefEco

ReefEco Well-Known Member

Hey Tallison, so - just some philosophy that might benefit you long term in the hobby. Have patience, and do it right the first time. I know you are eager to get water in the tank, but is adding a month (or less if you use some bacteria in a bottle products) which is the cycle time, your stated reason to get going, that imperative - considering the pain in the *** drilling the tank is with any water in it? Or losing all the progress with the cycle if you need to drain the tank completely? Even a 1/2 full 75 gallon weighs ~400 pounds - will you be able to move it and position your self to drill it carefully? Not to mention the water and glass slurry that will inevitably get in the tank as you cool your drill bit (there should be absolutely no glass"dust" as you need to cool the bit and glass with water.) What if you screw up and crack the tank - are you ready for the clean up since it will be full of water? Not to mention it is MUCH easier to drill a straight and clean hole when the tank is horizontal, and you drilling down with gravity on your side. If you are really eager to get the cycle going, pick up a cheap $10 container and put your rock in it, and cycle it in there (use the cocktail shrimp method), then transfer the cycled, bacteria-laden rock and to your finished, drilled tank.

10. Tallison

1.No need to be condescending, saying hey " " while quoting my comment is kind of a give away you're addressing me. I'm more than aware the amount of time, money and research that has to go into the hobby which is how I came to my conclusion that drilling the tank vertically isn't a huge deal as long as I do it properly, there are dozens and dozens of articles that support it and BRS themselves have a video of one of their employees doing this same thing. I built a custom stand with wheels so that my tank would be easily adjustable and I run almost the exact same risk doing it horizontally, only difference is gravity. Not too mention i'd like to put off a sump as long as possible till I can acquire funds to a install a full sump setup. I've got a well researched plan and now I need to execute it . I'll make sure to document it here.

11. Tallison

I was looking at the 16' shadow overflow but its a little pricey. Hence why im trying to put off the sump as long as possible. My tank is going to be very add on as I go.

12. ReefEco

ReefEco Well-Known Member

Just trying to be friendly by using your name, not at all condescending. With multiple people on the thread, it is a simple and innocent practice. I see you are getting defensive, which was not my intention to inspire. Just trying to save you some headache. Good luck with your build.

13. anit77

anit77 Well-Known Member

We're just trying to help Tallison. Even with all the time I took getting started I still messed some things up. My build is a bit bigger so a lot more went into it. But I tried being cheap on some things. Bought a skimmer that was too small, a pump that was too small...

I drilled my tank, a 220, with 2 2" holes. I would highly recommend drilling the tank on its side with a towel inside to catch the plug when it falls through. It will be much easier to hold the drill that way too and let gravity do the work. You should be putting zero pressure on the drill, if you do you will get chipping and possibly a crack. Once the bit starts grinding through the surface it must be kept in the same position, if the angle changes you'll be prone to cracking. This is all so much easier horizontally vs vertical.
    If you get a nice ghost style overflow you will be very happy with the end result. They take up very little space in the tank and are extremely quiet. You should also get the biggest skimmer you can fit in the space you have and a pump that is slightly over powered. These will help you from having to upgrade them later.

Good luck with your build and have fun.

DeniseAndy and ReefEco like this.
  14. Fishmantim

Fishmantim Well-Known Member

It's only people trying to help out its up to you to do it the way you want good luck we've all made mistakes in this hobby

15. jeff howard

jeff howard Member Partner Member 2018

no studies have been done on skimmers, so everyone is giving you opinions. The Reef Octopus worked well for me. I have also used the Aqua Medic that worked well too. I guess in my view get a name brand and make sure to keep it clean if you do a hang-on or any other.

Tallison likes this.
  16. Idoc

Idoc Well-Known Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

My head is spinning trying to read all these posts! Im confused now, lol.

I think this is a good idea and a possibility. But, I would urge you to take the extra week now while the tank is dry to do the drilling... not wait until later after water is in it. There are so many problems that could go wrong drilling later! All tanks I've seen drilled in videos shows you really need a good amount of water pouring on the Drill bit while drilling. If it dries out or heats up while drilling, you are just asking for a damaged tank outcome! Drill now, install bulkheads, install a small length of pipe, then a union, then a valve. The union allows you to make several adjustments later! Then get the water in the tank, put in some powerheads and heater... and get that bad boy cycling! Don't use the quick bacteria in a bottle, go the old route cycling so you know you have about 30 days to get the sump built and ready to tie into your already plumbed lines. I like the pure ammonia route, myself. Then once cycled, you will do a big water change... this will drop the water level anyhow, so use that time to connect the plumbing all together... and just pray no leaks! Then only one skimmer is needed... the in sump skimmer! You don't need the HOB skimmer at all since you shouldn't be running the skimmer during the cycle anyhow! Good luck... start a build thread so we can watch this play out!

17. Tallison

Don't mean offense, honestly hard to tell though text. I figured the best solution, I ordered the Synergy reef ghost overflow and their template is available online. Drill Saturday, fill Sunday then install overflow Tuesday. I'll just keep the tank volume a couple inches below the overflow till I can get some plumbing done.

18. Tallison

I decided to heed the advice of the forum. Birthday was yesterday and while it sucked not putting water in I think it would have caused more stress down the line to figure it out later. Best to just be patient and plan accordingly. Plus I used that time to go to the aquarium and appreciate it a little more. I went with the shadow over flow and I'm drilling Thursday. Should I drill for return plumbing or just run the return line over the tank?

19. Pntbll687

Pntbll687 Active Member

If the return is on a short side, I say drill it. It will look much cleaner that way.
    If the return is on the back, the. You can get away with making it over the tank. I used 3/4in street elbows and they fit snug over the tank rim.

20. kesh

kesh Well-Known Member

I use Fluval PS1. It can be attached to the sump. Effectiveness wise, I observed that you see max skimming after a month running. Before that, it's just light skimming. Not sure why. Probably has to do with the skimmer running in.

Draft saved Draft deleted