MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An
Thank you!
Hopefully I started early enough. He’s grabbing into the acclimation box I placed him in last night and still has some stick to it.
It just kept the deflate, mouth gape and last straw was spewing some gunk.
I plan to keep it in the acclimation box for easy water changes. It leaves enough water for the nem to stay wet when I pull it.
Fingers crossed
6B792405-1058-43CC-81A5-5C43B7ED6A0A.jpeg
Any updates?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An

Any updates?
Yes, and a good one too with what appears to be a full recovery. I know it hasn't been too long but so far it has sat right where I want it to, is hosting a pair of percula clownfish, has grown in size, gained color and has not deflated since treatment. Very happy, I really appreciate all the knowledge shared in these threads.

MAS_3905.jpg
MAS_3907.jpg

I'll have to get a more updated and full shot of it. I purchased this one to relieve a small yellow gigantea that was getting beat up bad by the clowns. That one appears to have made a full recovery as well, although still small.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, that’s great to hear! Have any photos of the yellow one? I’m also thankful for the info I’ve gotten on R2R.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, that’s great to hear! Have any photos of the yellow one? I’m also thankful for the info I’ve gotten on R2R.
I gotta take a picture soon. It came in very light yellow but since has become more neon green as it gets darker/healthier.

I'll post a picture of it here, still small maybe 3" in diameter.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MartinM,
Is dosage is based on approximate net water volume or tank + sump dimension volume?
TIA

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if dosing twice a day, wouldn't one of the two doses be during the lighting period which would greatly reduce the effectiveness of Cipro?
TIA

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, last question.
Is it okay to dilute the Cipro from 10mg/L to 1mg/L for ease of dosing in smaller volume tanks?
If I have a roughly 30g net volume and proceed to dose 1.5mg/L it seems easier if I dilute 250mg Cipro to 250ml of water so that I can use a dosing cup for 15ml rather than using a syringe for 1.5ml.
Hopefully this make any sense Lol!

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, sorry for the delay!

- dose based on approximate total water volume of the system

- you’re right that light denatures the antibiotic but the idea is to maintain the antibiotic in the system consistently

- you can dilute however you want as long as the dosage is accurate

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, please share your experiences here!

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I’ve been performing an even lower dose treatment of a combination of Ciprofloxacin and Amoxicillin at .025mg/L administered 3x per day (total of .075mg/L/day of each antibiotic) for treatment of a bacterial infection in Magnifica anemones. It’s worked, but it takes longer (approximately 2-3 weeks). No obvious impact on softies, clams, inverts, sponges, SPS, LPS.

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased 2 Haddoni about 2 months ago (Red and Green). (Had blue that was already established)
Red and Green went into quarantine as they appeared rough from shipping. Shrinking, spilling mouth, etc. I immediately started treating with the listed Cipro Protocol. Had noticeable improvement by the end. Especially with the Red.
I moved both anemones to the DT by the blue and the Green started to show symptoms again. I did another course of Cipro, this time at a double dose every 6 hours for 10 days.
The Blue and Red now look awesome but the Green continues to gape/Spill mouth multiple times a day. Sometimes bad, Sometimes not so bad.
Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_1959.JPG
    IMG_1959.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1960.JPG
    IMG_1960.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 23

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that current unavailability of cipro is slowing this method or have y'all found a workaround?

I track cipro threads to see when the impacts of the fda regs actually take effect

I figure bulk supplies still at the pill mill dealers will last a while

But not long. People who self prescribe cipro for literally every personal and veterinary whim are eating up stores.

then what? Were any non antibiotic methods evolved in the last 3 years

Can we see the threads

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased 2 Haddoni about 2 months ago (Red and Green). (Had blue that was already established)
Red and Green went into quarantine as they appeared rough from shipping. Shrinking, spilling mouth, etc. I immediately started treating with the listed Cipro Protocol. Had noticeable improvement by the end. Especially with the Red.
I moved both anemones to the DT by the blue and the Green started to show symptoms again. I did another course of Cipro, this time at a double dose every 6 hours for 10 days.
The Blue and Red now look awesome but the Green continues to gape/Spill mouth multiple times a day. Sometimes bad, Sometimes not so bad.
Any ideas anyone?
Sorry you’re going through it. Best of luck! I have a QT tank setup for Cipro treatment but I haven’t had to treat mine. My Haddonis have been in the tank for 6mos now. The red one was acquired 4mos ago from a LFS (been in tank for 2+ years) so I didn’t even QT. Looks like you & I sharing something in common? :)

Attachments

• IMG_7256.jpeg
    IMG_7256.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 20

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas anyone?
btw: how big is your tank again? Looks like you're going to need a tank upgrade...like a year ago? ;) These guys grow big -- real big and fast! My Blue is at least 18" if he's super happy.

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw: how big is your tank again?
Valid question and I agree. This is a 40-gallon Breeder that is partitioned into 3 chambers. Each chamber houses its own nem and breeding clown pair. Haddoni, BTA, and Ritteri. I run loads of carbon and I don't believe the mixing of species is the issue but can't say for sure. All nems look good except for the Green Haddoni.
I forgot to mention, 1st treatment was in quarantine. A second round of treatment was in the NEM Display itself.
Also, as you can see in the picture, the Green Haddonis mouth looks more like its eating than spilling when it does this.

Attachments

• IMG_E19D1747A849-1.jpeg
    IMG_E19D1747A849-1.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 13

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problems typically don't arise with mixing species, but more so with the same species. I don't have experience with multiple haddoni, but some of us who have multiple gigantea in the same tank/system have noticed that one or more become dominant, and some individual anemones get smaller, slowly withering away. It's possible that this is happening with your green haddoni. I've been able to reverse these negative affects by moving the smaller anemone into its own tank.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that current unavailability of cipro is slowing this method or have y'all found a workaround?

I track cipro threads to see when the impacts of the fda regs actually take effect

I figure bulk supplies still at the pill mill dealers will last a while

But not long. People who self prescribe cipro for literally every personal and veterinary whim are eating up stores.

then what? Were any non antibiotic methods evolved in the last 3 years

Can we see the threads

I don't think there is a shortage of Cipro (at least not in pill/tablet form) especially since it's available in generic form. A quick check shows it in stock at many retailers. One of the reasons it was chosen (aside from efficacy) was the fact that it's commonly available and not regulated/monitored as much as other antibiotics.

Other antibiotics have been used successfully--typically in combination with Cipro--such as amoxicillin and erythromycin, but Cipro treatment continues to be the most popular protocol, as there are no non-antibiotic methods that have proven to be as successful.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back