Pruning back 70% of a SPS colony tips?

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning out a major trim of one of my Montipora and just seeing if there are tips, tricks, or hints on best practices. I have fragged a coral before but to take away well over half is another thing. I uploaded these same photos to my build thread asking for help but...it is a build thread, not the best place to ask for help. My reasoning behind this is to allow more bare rock to start popping in 3-5 more Acroporas. Thanks in advance for any help.
PXL_20211111_222826886.MP_Crop.jpg
PXL_20211217_170254621_crop.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,try to get under each layer as deep in as possible, from top down, firmly lift,
may get some good size pieces.
on the other hand ,be ready for many small frags also.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really worried about the small frags falling everywhere. There is a bit of rot at the base of some of the coral and so definitely trying to get most of that off. gonna be digging deep. I am tossing everything in the trash. No frags will be saved. I have no one local to sell to and no idea/clue how to ship.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sad to see waste of life, where are you located ?
can gift /trade to LFS ?

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sad to see waste of life, where are you located ?
can gift /trade to LFS ?
I'm in Louisiana. I'd totally give away to anyone wanting to come close. Hell, I would just break the whole thing off as one if I can and give it away. I understand I am just "trimming" my plants, but I never felt guilty tossing branches of my tree to the curb or cry over cutting my grass.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
let's see if we can find some members close to you, trees are plants,corals are animals.
@Fin @Scratch08 @Eagle_Steve ,cannot find other steve in bama ??

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to get a screwdriver under the base and gently pry up with the other hand supporting the monti?

I have done that with great success in the past. Especially if there is just dead skeleton at the base.

Also, no worries on screwdriver hurting tank, it would need to be left in there a while to leech or degrade. And just rinse it in tap after, so it doesnt rust when put up.

Outside of doing that, you can place a fish net under one side of the coral and break pieces off. The net will catch any small bits that fall and make them easy to remove. Then when done on that side, just move net to other side and repeat.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to get a screwdriver under the base and gently pry up with the other hand supporting the monti?

I have done that with great success in the past. Especially if there is just dead skeleton at the base.

Also, no worries on screwdriver hurting tank, it would need to be left in there a while to leech or degrade. And just rinse it in tap after, so it doesnt rust when put up.

Outside of doing that, you can place a fish net under one side of the coral and break pieces off. The net will catch any small bits that fall and make them easy to remove. Then when done on that side, just move net to other side and repeat.
Oh I like that fish net idea. Thanks

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Louisiana. I'd totally give away to anyone wanting to come close. Hell, I would just break the whole thing off as one if I can and give it away. I understand I am just "trimming" my plants, but I never felt guilty tossing branches of my tree to the curb or cry over cutting my grass.
What part of Louisiana? I’m in Denham Springs. I take some

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that lol I will NOT explain that to my wife. She is already sad about chopping it back.
Well, I am guilty of it as well. I have some acros that get trimmed, fed to some sump starfish and then the skeletons thrown into my CaRX lol. Or they just get tossed in the sump and not eaten, then put in CaRX lol.

At least one of those involves feeding another sea critter lol. Or wait, maybe both do lol.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for that lol I will NOT explain that to my wife. She is already sad about chopping it back.
have you reached out to your club?
or post thread on here FREE ? with area code
just please don't throw away.

Back