Pruning back 70% of a SPS colony tips?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
V__3C7E.jpeg
V__B00E.jpeg

eeh... why not... :)

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot far! lol I lived in Denham Springs till that massive flood a few years back.
We lost everything in 2016 flood. House, reef tank and equipment. Cars and my motorcycles .

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that work? Or does the Monty encrust and kill
The coral glue will give a small buffer of space. If the acro comes with some frag base, there is even more leeway.

Long term wise, really can go one way or the other. Sometimes acros can fend off the monti and grow upwards; sometimes the monti may cover the acro. Most of my acros do okay growing on monti.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral glue will give a small buffer of space. If the acro comes with some frag base, there is even more leeway.

Long term wise, really can go one way or the other. Sometimes acros can fend off the monti and grow upwards; sometimes the monti may cover the acro. Most of my acros do okay growing on monti.
I wanted to put a clam on a monti but want sure what would happen

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
We lost everything in 2016 flood. House, reef tank and equipment. Cars and my motorcycles .
Oh man.... reefs and bikes..... 2 of my favorite things. I can only imagine the heartbreak....

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to put a clam on a monti but want sure what would happen
I suppose it will make a very nice foundation for clam to attach to, as long as it's not too thin. If not when the clam rocks a bit, may snap the monti to pieces.

Of course, the part of the monti covered by the clam base would probably die, but the rest would look just nice.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does it behave? Does it irritate the clam or encrust it?
The maxima clam secretes
How does it behave? Does it irritate the clam or encrust it?
Clams disolve coral with there foot. This monti was actually above the clam but as the clam grew, the mantle is now above the monti. The monti, as you can see, stops at the clam. It actually is forming like the mantle of the clam. Either because there is no light or the mantle is secreting protons. I'm not sure which, or both.
I probably wouldn't mount the clam on top of a coral as yours only because it will break thru the coral eventually. But definatly next to it if you want to keep a Coral at bay.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning out a major trim of one of my Montipora and just seeing if there are tips, tricks, or hints on best practices. I have fragged a coral before but to take away well over half is another thing. I uploaded these same photos to my build thread asking for help but...it is a build thread, not the best place to ask for help. My reasoning behind this is to allow more bare rock to start popping in 3-5 more Acroporas. Thanks in advance for any help.
PXL_20211111_222826886.MP_Crop.jpg
PXL_20211217_170254621_crop.jpg
Are you on the Louisiana Reef Club main site, or are you just signed up through here? If not, you can join and post on the main site at www.lareefclub.com

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you on the Louisiana Reef Club main site, or are you just signed up through here? If not, you can join and post on the main site at www.lareefclub.com
I am on their site as well. Thanks for the recommendation. I have a post-up in their coral trade area.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is the day! Going to wipe down the tools and start fragging today. The coral will be rehomed tomorrow morning. I am going to be trying to get video of it but I really not sure how well that will go. Excited and sad to see it go. I know it will grow back just as big within 18 months, but it is one of my first corals. Going to transport it in a tiny ice chest.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back