PSA: Be careful when buying or selling online! These tips may help you avoid potential scams.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use Zelle to send/receive money. At least through Chase you will receive absolutely no protection.

If accepting a check of any kind wait a minimum of 3 days after the bank says it has cleared. I've had my bank tell me a check cleared, made the funds available to me only to find my bank had not yet received information from the buyer's bank where the check came from. I even called Chase and asked them if the check had cleared. They said yes. When I asked for their help they couldn't or wouldn't give it. Your bank will make funds available as a courtesy to you. That doesn't mean the check was good. The check given to me was supposedly a cashiers' check, another thing I thought was a better guarantee. It was a fake.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump as a helpful tip.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191209_111331.jpg

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of this post is being copied directly from a warning posted previously by @SeahorseKeeper, but I feel that it's important that we remind all of our members of this again and that it be posted in the general forum in hopes that more of you will see it. This is IMPORTANT so please read this and point others to it regularly.

Also, please be sure you have read our selling forum rules thoroughly BEFORE you buy or sell anything at Reef2Reef. You should also be sure you are familiar with our site terms and rules.

*Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that all staff members are volunteers and try to do our best to do what is in the best interest of R2R. Typically, we do not get involved in member disputes. Most often there is more than one side of the story. Each side has their own and sometimes the truth is somewhere in the middle. The staff respects that each member can voice their side of the transaction within the feedback forums. Ultimately, the members can choose how to interpret the information. The staff does take action when there is blatant scamming. However, the only action that we can take is to remove the member from the community. We will also monitor to ensure the member is not creating a new name to scam again.*

There are some simple things that members can do to protect themselves when using the selling forums. The following are just a few things that I think people can do to protect themselves:
  • Be wary of members that have joined recently or have low post counts. Sometimes the members that are here to scam other members will typically PM members with items to sell, especially in response to a Want to Buy thread. Ask lots of questions and don't be afraid to ask for proof of ownership pics. Ask the member to show you a pic with a code word, that day's date and the item. If the seller does not want to do this, then run away.
  • Look at the post history. Does the member just have posts that are simple, like "nice tank"? These members aren't adding value to the community and might just be here to make a quick buck and move on.
  • DO NOT EVER send money as a gift (PayPal's Friends and Family option)!!!! R2R has updated the selling forum rules where members must not ask for the items to be sent as a gift. If you send the money as a gift, you will lose any chance of protection with paypal. Also, try to use a credit card as your payment with paypal. If for some reason the transaction goes south and paypal does not side with you, you may have protection from the credit card issuer and you can open a dispute with them. If a seller ever asks you to send money using the Friends and Family option, please report that message or post immediately! It is a violation of R2R rules!
  • Check the feedback forums first before doing business with anyone. The feedback forums are not used as much as they should be. They can be a valuable resource to determine whether someone deserves to get your business. If you do business with a member or vendor (sponsor or not), post up a feedback thread. Let the community know how the transaction went. The links to our feedback forums are here: (Vendor Feedback Forum and Regular Member Feedback Forum)
  • Check the feedback score. This can give you a snapshot of how the person does business.
  • Make sure to keep a copy of all correspondence. You can save a copy of the PM's to your computer.
If you feel that you had a transaction that went south, it is important to start a feedback thread (see above). This way other members can know to stay away from that person.

If you feel that you (or someone else) may have been scammed, follow these steps:
  • Report the scammer immediately to R2R moderators (using the report feature of the post is the best way to do this). Please report any PM's, posts, or visitor messages where you suspect the member is scamming other members. The staff looks at each and every reported post. We keep everything anonymous so you do not have to worry about being a snitch.
  • Contact paypal immediately.
  • It may also help to contact your bank or credit card company as well.
  • Reach out to your local authorities. Fraud via the internet is something that is not taken lightly. Actually, interstate commerce fraud can be considered a felony and bring stiff penalties. Do not be hesitant to contact them.
This is excellent information! Thank you for posting this thread. I am new to R2R... I needed to read this!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this up for those who need it.

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an order in with Aquarium Depot.. Has anyone here delt with them.. My order is processing.. Thanks..Geo

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, this happens in every aspect of life. Livestock ( as in cattle and horses, goats) Registered dogs and cats.
I spent 2 months looking for a German Shepherd puppy, thought I had found the one I wanted, until the seller told me that for the price the puppy would be flown into a airport that I know doesn't take live animal cargo, then brought to my front door. All I needed to do was send them the money through Western Union or Zelle.
I have seen the scams due to raising livestock and told the " breeder " ... Thanks but no thanks, you've used to many red flag words! I will look elsewhere.
Sadly the old saying buyer beware is still true.

mrellw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's unfortunate that scams occur.
Despite all of the warning indicators, I believe it will continue.
Scams are all built on greed (you think you're receiving a deal of the century or a significant quantity of money from a nigerian prince, etc.) and FOMO (fear of missing out). It's never worth it unless you can afford to lose the money.
Scammers are psychopaths with no sense of morality. The victims, in their opinion, deserve to be duped because they don't know any better.

mrellw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's unfortunate that scams occur.
Despite all of the warning indicators, I believe it will continue.
Scams are all built on greed (you think you're receiving a deal of the century or a significant quantity of money from a nigerian prince, etc.) and FOMO (fear of missing out). It's never worth it unless you can afford to lose the money.
Scammers are psychopaths with no sense of morality. The victims, in their opinion, deserve to be duped because they don't know any better.
Scams happen, which is sad.
Despite all signs to the contrary, I believe it will continue.
Scams are founded on greed (you think you're getting a deal of the century or a large sum of money from a Nigerian prince, etc.) and FOMO (fear of missing out) (fear of missing out). Unless you can afford to lose the money, it's never worth it.
Scammers are psychopaths without a moral compass. They believe that the victims deserve to be deceived since they are ignorant.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of this post is being copied directly from a warning posted previously by @SeahorseKeeper, but I feel that it's important that we remind all of our members of this again and that it be posted in the general forum in hopes that more of you will see it. This is IMPORTANT so please read this and point others to it regularly.

Also, please be sure you have read our selling forum rules thoroughly BEFORE you buy or sell anything at Reef2Reef. You should also be sure you are familiar with our site terms and rules.

*Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that all staff members are volunteers and try to do our best to do what is in the best interest of R2R. Typically, we do not get involved in member disputes. Most often there is more than one side of the story. Each side has their own and sometimes the truth is somewhere in the middle. The staff respects that each member can voice their side of the transaction within the feedback forums. Ultimately, the members can choose how to interpret the information. The staff does take action when there is blatant scamming. However, the only action that we can take is to remove the member from the community. We will also monitor to ensure the member is not creating a new name to scam again.*

There are some simple things that members can do to protect themselves when using the selling forums. The following are just a few things that I think people can do to protect themselves:
  • Be wary of members that have joined recently or have low post counts. Sometimes the members that are here to scam other members will typically PM members with items to sell, especially in response to a Want to Buy thread. Ask lots of questions and don't be afraid to ask for proof of ownership pics. Ask the member to show you a pic with a code word, that day's date and the item. If the seller does not want to do this, then run away.
  • Look at the post history. Does the member just have posts that are simple, like "nice tank"? These members aren't adding value to the community and might just be here to make a quick buck and move on.
  • DO NOT EVER send money as a gift (PayPal's Friends and Family option)!!!! R2R has updated the selling forum rules where members must not ask for the items to be sent as a gift. If you send the money as a gift, you will lose any chance of protection with paypal. Also, try to use a credit card as your payment with paypal. If for some reason the transaction goes south and paypal does not side with you, you may have protection from the credit card issuer and you can open a dispute with them. If a seller ever asks you to send money using the Friends and Family option, please report that message or post immediately! It is a violation of R2R rules!
  • Check the feedback forums first before doing business with anyone. The feedback forums are not used as much as they should be. They can be a valuable resource to determine whether someone deserves to get your business. If you do business with a member or vendor (sponsor or not), post up a feedback thread. Let the community know how the transaction went. The links to our feedback forums are here: (Vendor Feedback Forum and Regular Member Feedback Forum)
  • Check the feedback score. This can give you a snapshot of how the person does business.
  • Make sure to keep a copy of all correspondence. You can save a copy of the PM's to your computer.
If you feel that you had a transaction that went south, it is important to start a feedback thread (see above). This way other members can know to stay away from that person.

If you feel that you (or someone else) may have been scammed, follow these steps:
  • Report the scammer immediately to R2R moderators (using the report feature of the post is the best way to do this). Please report any PM's, posts, or visitor messages where you suspect the member is scamming other members. The staff looks at each and every reported post. We keep everything anonymous so you do not have to worry about being a snitch.
  • Contact paypal immediately.
  • It may also help to contact your bank or credit card company as well.
  • Reach out to your local authorities. Fraud via the internet is something that is not taken lightly. Actually, interstate commerce fraud can be considered a felony and bring stiff penalties. Do not be hesitant to contact them.
I recently was trying to buy an Apogee meter. I learned that PayPal will report any transactions over a certain amount ( forget how much think 500 ) to IRS thus making it taxable to the owner

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this up

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some cool rare fish for my tank last week and had a great experience with both vendors.

@Eric Cohen with Tank Spot was awesome, super knowledgeable, great customer service, and sent me my new Arrowhead Basslet and Emperor Snapper in excellent condition.

IMG_8633.jpg

IMG_8642.jpg

Jed with @TopShelfAquatics was also very knowledgeable with great customer service. They got me my new Clown Trigger and Blue Line.

Highly recommend either vendor.

IMG_8577.jpg

IMG_8635.jpg

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently was trying to buy an Apogee meter. I learned that PayPal will report any transactions over a certain amount ( forget how much think 500 ) to IRS thus making it taxable to the owner
Im confused this was listed as My Post which it is certainly not

zoejogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scammers may target newer members or those with minimal engagement in the community. Asking questions and requesting proof of ownership can help verify legitimacy.

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you guys look for your rare fish?

I got my Queen Trigger from Reef Corner about 6 months ago but now I'm looking for a replacement for my Blueline...see above...RIP.

Can't find one anywhere.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back