PSA - Careful using egg crate to divide a cheap 10g QT

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this last week to separate a couple of wrasses I wanted to run through QT together. I wasn't sure if they would get along or not.

I came home last night to a dry tank, dead wrasse, and 10 gallons of saltwater all over the bathroom because the seam in the 10G breeder split right where the egg crate divider was putting a tiny amount of pressure on the wall.

It seemed like such a harmless amount of additional pressure, but clearly the tank wasn't designed for that.

I got lucky. I happened to have a towel nearby that absorbed a lot of it. Another good bit appears to have gone down the bathroom sink, and the rug on the floor absorbed a fair amount as well. I also found a surprisingly watertight drawer was holding probably 3 gallons. I don't *think* much if any got under the baseboards and into the drywall, but that remains to be seen. I'll test for mold in a couple of weeks just to be sure.

So I would advise anyone planning to do this to take some precautions and make sure if you do blow a seam it doesn't do any serious damage to your home.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. I like to use plastic coated magnets inside and outside the tank to hold egg crate in position in the tank. Thus no need for a "friction" fit.

OP
OP
Rython

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really good idea. Now I need to do some research on appropriate magnets for the job.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back