Pseudochromis/Dottyback Appreciation Thread.

• Thread starter inactive
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

inactive

View Badges
Precious little evils!!!

Most of us have had our bad experiences with Dottybacks... Some add them to community tanks without research, others struggle to add fish after a Dottyback makes his or her home. Whatever the case.. I LOVE PSEUDOCHROMIS! By far the most interesting reef fish I have ever come across.... My Neon and Damsels provide hours of entertainment playing "musical underneath-the-monti-cap," or just scouring around the tank looking for pests...

For my new frag system, I decided to use Dottybacks for my coral protectors over wrasse. I believe that the right Dottyback will be the best assassin of pests, with that said.. I believe my end result will be a highly aggressive, mated pair of Cypho(more commonly known as "Pseudochromis mcculloch")...if I can find them. Not only will this take care of my Pseudo-love, it creates a pair of hunters that may spawn in the future... giving me more Reef related fun/experiments to have. In my quest for international greatness, I see a Pseudochromis breeding project happening... Clownfish are too goofy for my personality!

Enough babbling, If you have Pseudochromis, Please share your experiences and pictures!! I would love to check it all out!

This is my baby, only pictures I have of him... I wanted a neon SO bad, for SO long... and this guy was causing terror in someones nano...

Introducing: Wrecks Shoppe..

P5300266.jpg

P5300402.jpg

I have a Blue Flav in the 55g now, thing never comes out though. Wrecks destroyed it a few months ago... so yeah, once bitten!

Chea!!

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mean little buggers......

I was tempted to get either a Neon Arabian , mccullochi or Splendid... I had a Springeri in a frag tank till it jumped out.. Jet black with blue Designs on the cheek.

One of my favorites before in my tank
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/pseudochromisdottybacks/springeripseudochromisredsea/http://www.freshmarine.com/springeri-dottyback.html

ones I thought about getting.
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/pseudochromisdottybacks/splendidpseudochromis/
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/pseudochromisdottybacks/mccullochipseudochromis/
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/pseudochromisdottybacks/dutoitipseudochromisredsea/

Last edited:

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Sunrise dottyback and he's a mean sob! He's lucky that he is so colorful or he'd be gone by now.

OP
OP
I

inactive

View Badges
mine is a perfect little angel.....never bothered anything he wasn't suppose to....nice fish kray, i have the same one...;)

You know, when I 1st got my neon... he didnt bother much... but after all the bigger, badder fish died... He knew what time it was.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had him for awhile now and no problems...... my clown and chromis are smaller than him and he still dont bother them....now my tangs are 30 times his size lol....i think my naso keeps, my whole tank in check!!!!!lol

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if I wanted to get a new one, I already have a Royal Gramma that would most likely fight to the death with it.

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got my splendid from ora and he is not very aggressive at all, maybe cuz he is captive bred..........then again ive had ora ocelaris clowns rip my knuckles apart

OP
OP
I

inactive

View Badges
i got my splendid from ora and he is not very aggressive at all, maybe cuz he is captive bred..........then again ive had ora ocelaris clowns rip my knuckles apart

Yeah, the captive breeding does not really tone down the aggression at all. Some of the dottybacks seem to be a little more timid than others.. For example, my Blue Flav is the hiding type... sticking his little face out of spots every now and then, as opposed to my Neon... who is constantly hunting and biting ish for a reaction.

OP
OP
I

inactive

View Badges
i've got a springeri and he rocks. he's made his home within one of my monti caps.

Our first, and only Springeri so far was a little to curious when the flow was turned off. Being a black dominated fish, he did not see him when the flow was kicked back on... He usually hid in his rock spot, not this time :(

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is chilled as can be. i started with a neon, but he went carpet surfing during a water change and i didnt notice him missing till the next day. he was all shriveled like a dead leaf

:{

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i had my 150g set up i was really into the psuedos also. a tangerine, neon, sunrise, pair of spiny basslets(only saw these guys twice a year)and a australian. and no fights!

OP
OP
I

inactive

View Badges
Pseudochromis dominated tank is my dream... Highly improbable though.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Elegant is cool as can be....He don't bother much other then my Fire shrimp......He hides quite a bit, but you can see him darting around the tank like he has somewhere to go or he lost something....My fave of the dotties for sure.

OP
OP
I

inactive

View Badges
My Elegant is cool as can be....He don't bother much other then my Fire shrimp......He hides quite a bit, but you can see him darting around the tank like he has somewhere to go or he lost something....My fave of the dotties for sure.

hahahahahha like he lost something... awesome. I want a pair of Red Heads one day.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back