Psychedelic Mandarin “Rescue”! (will post tons of updates on this post!**)

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by lucyretz, Oct 9, 2017.

1. lucyretz

lucyretz Well-Known Member

Some back story:

My big chain lfs has had this poor guy for atleast 3 months now. Every time I went in he always would come to the glass and look at me. I already have a green mandarin and didn’t want to put too much stress on the pod population. He was kept in a bare bottom, no rock tank with 8 -10 spiny urchins and was not eating nor being fed frozen.

Safe to say when I went in yesterday, he was the skinniest mandarin I’ve ever seen. So I finally paid the dang $39.99 and walked out.

[​IMG]

In the bag.

We had a two hour car ride home. When I got home I floated and dripped him and then placed him in a breeder box in my tank that I had filled with adult live brine shrimp. I’ve never seen a fish instantly eat everything in sight. He was so happy

[​IMG]

Now today I’ve got him slowly eating frozen, I’ve been feeding him pods and live brine too. Hopefully by Friday he’ll be plump enough to set free into my tank! :)

Extra pics and such:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Tags:

2. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

Wow, that is heartbreaking. Kudos to you for trying, I hope he pulls through. Can you get some nutrimar ova? That might help get a little weight on him as well.

Honestly, I don't think I'd set him free so quickly. He's going to need some major target feeding to get him out of the "danger" zone...It's rare for a mandarin to come back from being that far gone :/

3. lucyretz

I really appreciate your feedback! I will look into it for sure!

I planned for a week because I know full well he’ll gain major weight on the pods I have in my tank but you’re totally right. I will end up waiting because ideally I want him plump before I set him free into my DT.

It really irks me how big chain stores buy these fish and have no care about providing adequate food sources for them. Kind of like the equivalent to freshwater Betta mistreatment.

I know a lot of people will say buying him doesn’t help anything because the store will just buy more. But I just felt so incredibly bad for him... :( atleast the regular green mandarins were in a set up with live rock and sand and places pods could actually hide. He’s the only psychedelic I’ve seen them have in 5 years, hopefully the last.

Robink, Chrisfish and drawman like this.
  4. lion king

lion king Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Awesome you are on your way to being a "Mandarin Rescue". Now that your eyes are open you will start seeing guys like this all over town. So sad these guys are a very difficult species for most, and their mortality rate is ridiculous. I ended up with a "Dwarf Lion Rescue" the same way. Get ready for more tanks and a pod factory LOL.

Robink and Chrisfish like this.
  5. drawman

drawman Well-Known Member

+1 with @ngoodermuth good luck and hopefully he can fatten up on you. You may want to be feeding live + nutramar ova several times daily. Good luck!

6. Claus84

Claus84 Well-Known Member

Good on you for trying to help this little guy out, fingers crossed he plumps up nicely for you. Always saddens me to see these waste away, one of my lfs always seems to have a few of them and I pull them up on it when I see them. I wish they would ban imports of them or at least make them more expensive so they aren't viewed as disposable, it seems some shops just carry them as pretty tank-fillers to get people in and hope they can either sell them quickly or just write them off and be content watching them deteriorate

Bob Escher, drawman and lion king like this.
  7. Apotack

Apotack Well-Known Member

Check out PaulB’s madarin feeder. Works great

8. Chrisfish

Chrisfish Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2018

I hope he or she gets fat and happy , I thinks it's an awesome thing you did:)

9. Mike N

Mike N Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Sadly, I've seen the same thing at a couple LFS here in Houston.
    Good luck with your rescue effort!

10. lucyretz

[​IMG]

Weight gain progress!! Ive been feeding her a few pieces of frozen mysis every other hour. She’s really active and brightening up! (I know the first pic is over exposed, only pic I had of her in the bag. Just wanted everyone to get a sense of her size when I bought her)

11. lucyretz

12. Claus84

Claus84 Well-Known Member

Awesome!

lucyretz likes this.
  13. chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca Active Member

It's sucks I seen about 4 or 5 go down at the lfs in my area at once, and a lot periodically since then. I wish I could do something but don't have the money not the time. My dragonett looks like Jaba the hut in my tank lol, eats pellets like no tomorrow. That was the only one I could save, it is nice to see what you are doing.

Bob Escher, lucyretz and Katrina71 like this.
  14. Dizzirn

Dizzirn Well-Known Member

What was your trick for transitioning him to pellets? Mine eats frozen vitamin soaked shrimp no problems but isn’t interested in pellets

15. chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca Active Member

Just walked in the door lol, so here is a picture, soft high quality, to be honest I just kept dumping them on him till he realised it was food[​IMG]

Bob Escher and JoshH like this.
  16. drawman

drawman Well-Known Member

Those are great before and afters so far nicely done!

lucyretz likes this.
  17. bpinkstaff

bpinkstaff Well-Known Member

What feeder?

18. lucyretz

[​IMG][​IMG]

New 8 gallon Nano (10 -2 for the black sump) for the baby! Don’t worry I’m using my rock, water and media from my established main display. :) she’s loving it!

Bob Escher, Robink, najer and 3 others like this.
  19. mckinleyw

mckinleyw AIRBORNE REEFER R2R Supporter Tampa Bay Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

she is beautiful. best of luck and kudos. I will be watching progress, I love mandys

lucyretz likes this.
  20. Mark Waltermire

Mark Waltermire Member

Wow he looked very skinny in that first picture. I just bought a mandarin last week and haven't seen him for 4 days now. I know he didn't jump out since I have a canopy and he isn't in the overflow box or any of the filter socks. My protein skimmer also hasn't been acting up like there is a dead fish in there so I think he's alive, but just hiding. I can also visually see a lot less pods on the back of my tank since I've introduced him.
    One half of me want to pull apart all of the live rock and determine if he really is in there, but the other half of me says to just leave everything alone and hope he shows up soon.

norfolkgarden and Bob Escher like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted