Psychedelic Mandarin “Rescue”! (will post tons of updates on this post!**)

OP
OP
lucyretz

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's awesome that you are going through the added time and expense to help save something that would otherwise be destined to die and written off.

My LFS (where this guy came from) wild collects every single fish from Hawaii. I absolutely cannot stand it. When the ban was put in place I did a literal happy dance.

If you’re going to take an animal out of it’s natural habitat and then you can’t even give it the accommodations to EAT, that’s absolutely disgusting.

I just want to make the rest of his days enjoyable.
a45f23020697ca9cb46d8797c5a7dae3.jpg

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS (where this guy came from) wild collects every single fish from Hawaii. I absolutely cannot stand it. When the ban was put in place I did a literal happy dance.

If you’re going to take an animal out of it’s natural habitat and then you can’t even give it the accommodations to EAT, that’s absolutely disgusting.

I just want to make the rest of his days enjoyable.
a45f23020697ca9cb46d8797c5a7dae3.jpg

You are doing 1 heck of a job in making his life more enjoyable.
Commendations to you for that.

Like yourself, I can't stand to see the livestock that some LFS sell. Most are emaciated and downright teetering between life and death.
Such a shame.

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good work!!! You are turely a great person for saving this fish from a unnecessary death!!!! Hats off to you! So proud be know people like you!

OP
OP
lucyretz

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Words can not describe how incredibly blown away and happy I am to say that AlgaeBarn has decided to sponsor this thread so this guy (now named Ollie) can have all the pods his heart desires.

I honestly can’t believe it. What an absolutely incredible selfless gesture.. I am so thankful.

This may even allow me to save a future mandarin or two that’s in need. [emoji813]️

This awesome news aside, Ollie is doing terrific!

8f227607db01d3122665e97f07fa02f0.jpg

62d1ae4605f66aaaf816fdf4a786306e.jpg
d77689fdd312f633de11d200b7769926.jpg
224e85dddffc7309120d65924f8c2851.jpg

bpinkstaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Words can not describe how incredibly blown away and happy I am to say that AlgaeBarn has decided to sponsor this thread so this guy (now named Ollie) can have all the pods his heart desires.

I honestly can’t believe it. What an absolutely incredible selfless gesture.. I am so thankful.

This may even allow me to save a future mandarin or two that’s in need. [emoji813]️

This awesome news aside, Ollie is doing terrific!

8f227607db01d3122665e97f07fa02f0.jpg

62d1ae4605f66aaaf816fdf4a786306e.jpg
d77689fdd312f633de11d200b7769926.jpg
224e85dddffc7309120d65924f8c2851.jpg

Algea barn is awesome they really do well helping us taking care of our mandarins!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered some pods and phytoplanken stuff from them as I'm getting a mandarin this weekend. My tank is full of pods but he'll have to go into qt for a bit. Hoping I find one that is eating and is healthy!

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By far one of the best purchases I have bought in a while. Absolutely love these little guys. They are so entertaining to watch.

Algae barn is also excellent. Extremely easy to deal with, reasonably priced, and the only company I know that contacts you through text. Real person to person. I was blown away by their service. I will definitely be ordering again.

Glad to see Ollie is doing terrific. It definitely was not fair to anyone, especially Ollie, to have to live like that for 3 months. Great job with the recovery.

IMG_0051.jpg

OP
OP
lucyretz

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f68c9f1b82ca7eed84ba7cb21e11ee84.jpg

(my 55G display)

Really really excited to tell everyone Ollie was healthy enough today to join my female mandarin in my main display tank. Though I will miss waking up to his tiny face beside my bed each morning waiting for breakfast, he will have lots of room to grow and hunt in here and maybe even get himself a girlfriend ;) the green mandarin that’s in there as well is an absolute piggy so I have very high hopes Ollie will get that way too!

I can’t thank everyone enough for the support, and of course AlgaeBarn for kindly sponsoring me. Our community is truly amazing. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to get some pictures and videos of Ollie in the big tank! Will continue to update as much as I can! :)

1025a0c7ca57f73415f1af03c016b3a6.jpg

Picture of my green so everyone can see her weight :)

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fantastic news. So happy for you and Ollie! Wishing the 2 mandy's I got on Saturday were eating! I've used a pippette to squeeze tigger pods down onto them and nutra mar ova. The female may have pecked a bit--had to tell--but not the male, at least not while I've been watching. The copepods from algae barn won't be here until friday. I did try to seed the qt with some pods from my display sandbed (and some rubble rock). I'm torn as to what to do next. Do I treat with CP and hope they start eating or do I put them in the display tank and take a chance. At least in there, there are plenty of pods. Really want to get these 2 thru this. I have a feeling they may not have been eating at the lfs. They wouldn't open a bottle of pods to feed and let me observe. The little goby I got at the same time is fine. He can stay in QT. He's eating and moving around. The mandy's not very much.

Dizzirn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fantastic news. So happy for you and Ollie! Wishing the 2 mandy's I got on Saturday were eating! I've used a pippette to squeeze tigger pods down onto them and nutra mar ova. The female may have pecked a bit--had to tell--but not the male, at least not while I've been watching. The copepods from algae barn won't be here until friday. I did try to seed the qt with some pods from my display sandbed (and some rubble rock). I'm torn as to what to do next. Do I treat with CP and hope they start eating or do I put them in the display tank and take a chance. At least in there, there are plenty of pods. Really want to get these 2 thru this. I have a feeling they may not have been eating at the lfs. They wouldn't open a bottle of pods to feed and let me observe. The little goby I got at the same time is fine. He can stay in QT. He's eating and moving around. The mandy's not very much.

I won’t buy anything without seeing them eat anymore cuz I’ve been burnt almost every time

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was too late. Tried to put them in last night. Female gone this morning. Male was in that deep sleep so put him back in the qt. I don't think he'll be alive when I get home. I'm so sad. Not buying mandi's from that place again...

Back