Psychedelic Mandarin “Rescue”! (will post tons of updates on this post!**)

OP
OP
lucyretz

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was too late. Tried to put them in last night. Female gone this morning. Male was in that deep sleep so put him back in the qt. I don't think he'll be alive when I get home. I'm so sad. Not buying mandi's from that place again...

Oh no I’m so sorry :( look for a healthy active one, try to take 10-15 minutes or even more in the store and just watch the fish. Mandarins are very active, he should be all over the place hunting pods. Make sure his eyes are bright as well, clouded over can signal a bigger problem. Skinny is never a deal breaker for me, obviously, but just make sure the fish has a will to eat. If he seems healthy and any fish with him do to, I would put it straight into the DT.

Once again I’m very sorry for your loss :( </3

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome thread and nice job! Thanks to Algae Barn as well!

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are excited to send Ollie the mandarin some live copepods, phytoplankton, and brine shrimp today! We are extremely grateful to have such wonderful and supportive customers, you all are really the ones who make this possible. It is easy to buy a healthy fish but it takes a truly dedicated, confident and compassionate hobbyist to purchase a skinny one and put in the effort to rehab it. Kudos to you @lucyretz!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male was also gone. I suspected it when I left this morning but left him just in case. Fish didn't seem starved or skinny like Ollie, but I suspect they were newly caught or just in and hadn't been eating at the lfs either. Hopefully I didn't put something nasty into my tank last night with the female but from now on, if a mandi looks healthy, it goes right into the tank. It was hard to check for active as there were 5-6 of them in one of those tiny box tanks where there wasn't much room to move. My copepods and phyto arrived today.... No mandi's to feed.... I'll add them into my display. My scooter is in heaven with all the pods to himself. There are a ton of them already

OP
OP
lucyretz

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

Hope everyone had a great Thursday. After a slight delay that was entirely my fault, Ollie will receive his generous gift from Algaebarn tomorrow!! There are not words to describe my gratitude for how grateful I am.

Ollie has been hanging out in my rockwork with his girlfriend, eating as many pods as his little stomach can handle. I must admit I do miss feeding him every few hours, but he did become very reliant on me so I know this is a lot better for him.

I don’t see him as much now, but I can tell you that he is gaining weight and his colouration is a lot more vibrant. I was able to capture this picture of him that I attached tonight.

The fish store that actually sold me him, is looking for an experienced fish person to work in the department. I am highly considering applying, so I can have my say on how fish like Ollie are taken care of and help educate people that may not be aware of their critical needs. I might not be able to save them all, but atleast a few will land in adequate situations.

Once again, I really want to thank everyone for the overwhelming out reach of support. From the comments, messages, generous donation from Algaebarn and R2R for featuring Ollie in the emailed news letter last night; Thank you.

From the bottom of our hearts,
Lucy & Ollie [emoji173]️

7bcce18be3f0d40051498db59c8a0d3c.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
lucyretz

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning friends! Happy Friday!!! (Finally .. phew.)

This morning Ollie’s present from AlgaeBarn came in and I am just in awe. I really can’t believe everything this amazing company sent Ollie. [emoji173]️

fd92aac11a2b1fce35b4afc43ae96cfc.jpg

Ollie came out this morning more than usual, I think he knew. Going to spot feed him some of the nano brine shrimp, will try to get some photos!

6a118f24cc4a314495dbd3c0e9e65f6c.jpg

Also, T-shirts is a really cool idea. Obviously a lot would need to go into planning that out but I made a first draft this morning, and come on. How flipping cute are these.

6b5b4ece6268b2ee3a0912bc7acd0829.png

As always thank you everyone for your continued support. We are absolutely beyond thankful, and at most times teary eyed lol[emoji173]️

Lucy and Ollie[emoji173]️

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is heartbreaking. Kudos to you for trying, I hope he pulls through. Can you get some nutrimar ova? That might help get a little weight on him as well.

Honestly, I don't think I'd set him free so quickly. He's going to need some major target feeding to get him out of the "danger" zone...It's rare for a mandarin to come back from being that far gone :/[/QUO
Yes try the Nutramar ova. My mandarin loves that stuff and has from day one. I also add live pods to my tank every month or two and I have a job fish breeder box that I use as a refugium just for pods.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up 2 new mandarins. Both went right into display tank. I've seen some pecking going on and one of them snapped up a hydro jellyfish! New fish store, at least tried to feed and I saw at least response for the one male. Tank was too high up and I'm far too short! So couldn't really see. But they said they do start immediately trying to get them onto a mash of frozen, pellet and dry--paste like so I know they are at least working to feed. Think other place didn't feed or try much. Both are exporing tank and rocks at least. So hopeful this time around. I'm going to look into trying to culture my own to keep a steady heavy population. Just dumped in a bag I got from Algae barn and feeding tank phyto from them also daily.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back