Psychedelic Mandarin “Rescue”! (will post tons of updates on this post!**)

OP
OP
lucyretz

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @lucyretz we won a 50.00 gift voucher from The Sheltered Reef. We want to pay it forward to you. Please PM me your email address so they can send it to ya :)

Oh my goodness that’s too kind thank you so much!!! [emoji24] my email is [email protected] [emoji173]️ seriously you don’t have to do this [emoji173]️

Molly and Ollie also say thank you from the bottom of their hearts[emoji173]️

ddf457437f9fed25d8c00392beee11b3.png

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mandarin named Kermit and I love him. Was so surprised that he survived Harvey. (3 ‘ water in our apartment). I was home so I was able to turn on battery operated air pump. Ended up moving tank to friends home and Kermit is thriving. Growing and staying nice and plump. Would love to have another one but my tank is too small. Love that you were able to rescue Ollie. Seeing these fish places have fish that are clearly unhealthy makes me sad. I’d rescue all of them if I could. Lol. Great job. Keep up the good work and keep us all posted.

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a mandarin my LFS too that I've been thinking of trying to "save". Any tips for a newbie like me? I already dosed my tank with pods from AlgaeBarn from before but I have no clue if theyre currently alive/surviving in my tank.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see the pods on your rocks and even the sand. Esp. at night using a flashlight. You'll need a ton of them. Or be adding them. I'll be starting my own cultures and trying that route to keep it up. I had so many you couldn't NOT see them anywhere you looked. With the scooter and 2 mandarins, they are not as many now. Esp. the scooter.

My mandi's are almost a week in my tank come sat. Both alive. I see one do some pecking, and climbing into the rocks. The other, hard to tell but from behavior, mostly stays on sand. Don't see "her" doing as much hunting. Neither really eat when I feed the tank that I at least see. I've given them the best I can and will be ordering more pods from algae barn next week after my supplies get here. I ordered a set of seives and tubing from brine shrimp direct, 3 beverage jars with spigots and a phyto starter set. Now to figure out how to do all this. No one warned me that this was a full time endeavor. My writing has suffered greatly!

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see the pods on your rocks and even the sand. Esp. at night using a flashlight. You'll need a ton of them. Or be adding them. I'll be starting my own cultures and trying that route to keep it up. I had so many you couldn't NOT see them anywhere you looked. With the scooter and 2 mandarins, they are not as many now. Esp. the scooter.

My mandi's are almost a week in my tank come sat. Both alive. I see one do some pecking, and climbing into the rocks. The other, hard to tell but from behavior, mostly stays on sand. Don't see "her" doing as much hunting. Neither really eat when I feed the tank that I at least see. I've given them the best I can and will be ordering more pods from algae barn next week after my supplies get here. I ordered a set of seives and tubing from brine shrimp direct, 3 beverage jars with spigots and a phyto starter set. Now to figure out how to do all this. No one warned me that this was a full time endeavor. My writing has suffered greatly!

Good luck! I've ordered pods a couple times and added them in but for some reason I have no luck finding them. I always turn off everything when i add them so they dont get blown away right away but then they just disappear as if they were never there to begin with. I will try the flashlight, hopefully I see them

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@lucyretz let me know if you don't get it. They sent it last night.

OP
OP
lucyretz

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7bdc9edf8415d9a18c4d93616710a10f.jpg
47a6145a4fdab200ef890dc483dbb542.jpg
8ba8eb246c80dd71855bf3f7a6942a33.jpg
58dbdd575f3e951114198628e0512800.jpg

Update:

Ollie is doing fantastic! He’s gaining weight which I’m ecstatic about! I haven’t spit fed him much since adding him into my main display tank as he was becoming very reliant on me. I know that transition was a little tough for him but he has since found where the best pod spots are. He and my other mandarin Molly get along great, sometimes they have small disputes but they are so minor I’m not worried. Definitely seen a huge difference in my pod populations since adding AlgaeBarns pods as well as brine and phytoplankton.

Excitingly, my parents got me a new 20 gallon nuvo for Christmas and I’m really happy to say that another rescue mandarin like Ollie will be calling it home. I’ll be watching closely on Facebook for rehoming ads and looking through Toronto’s dingiest pet stores to see if I can find another little guy that needs a hand.

This has been a great experience all around. I’m thankful for everyone’s contributions and I know Ollie is too.

Also, I apologize for the crappy pictures of him, he’s always on the move hunting now that it’s so hard to catch him being still. I also included a photo of Ollies house :)

OP
OP
lucyretz

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7bdc9edf8415d9a18c4d93616710a10f.jpg
47a6145a4fdab200ef890dc483dbb542.jpg
8ba8eb246c80dd71855bf3f7a6942a33.jpg
58dbdd575f3e951114198628e0512800.jpg

Update:

Ollie is doing fantastic! He’s gaining weight which I’m ecstatic about! I haven’t spit fed him much since adding him into my main display tank as he was becoming very reliant on me. I know that transition was a little tough for him but he has since found where the best pod spots are. He and my other mandarin Molly get along great, sometimes they have small disputes but they are so minor I’m not worried. Definitely seen a huge difference in my pod populations since adding AlgaeBarns pods as well as brine and phytoplankton.

Excitingly, my parents got me a new 20 gallon nuvo for Christmas and I’m really happy to say that another rescue mandarin like Ollie will be calling it home. I’ll be watching closely on Facebook for rehoming ads and looking through Toronto’s dingiest pet stores to see if I can find another little guy that needs a hand.

This has been a great experience all around. I’m thankful for everyone’s contributions and I know Ollie is too.

Also, I apologize for the crappy pictures of him, he’s always on the move hunting now that it’s so hard to catch him being still. I also included a photo of Ollies house :)

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear. Mandarins have quickly become my favorite fish since I purchased Kermit a while back. I really want to have a tank strictly for a pair. One day Lol.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back