Puffer with a hole in the back started with ich

acomps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am recovering from an ich outbreak in my tank and thus moved to QT. Fish are getting better. However the puffer had a giant white spot on his back and now there is a hole in the back. The fish is not happy. The LFS suggested Neoplex. Any other suggestions? I did start treatment of that. I was told these puffers don't recover well from that. Thank you

Resized_20211002_135942.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appears to be bacterial. Treatment starts with good water quality and best in quarantine
Maracyn 2 would be effective as would ruby rally pro
Is fish eating?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am recovering from an ich outbreak in my tank and thus moved to QT. Fish are getting better. However the puffer had a giant white spot on his back and now there is a hole in the back. The fish is not happy. The LFS suggested Neoplex. Any other suggestions? I did start treatment of that. I was told these puffers don't recover well from that. Thank you

Resized_20211002_135942.jpeg

Can you try for a clearer picture? A short video may also be helpful.

Neoplex is one possible antibiotic to use, just be certain to test ammonia daily and keep it below 0.25 ppm. Don't use the API ammonia kit, those just don't seem to work very well.

Jay

OP
OP
A

acomps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you try for a clearer picture? A short video may also be helpful.

Neoplex is one possible antibiotic to use, just be certain to test ammonia daily and keep it below 0.25 ppm. Don't use the API ammonia kit, those just don't seem to work very well.

Jay
Jay well good news the fish ate today and seemed more relax. The wound is a deep flesh wound however. I actually have the API test kit. What do you recommend? I am reaplacing 99% of the water daily or at the least every other day.

Attachments

• Resized_20211003_101200.jpeg
    Resized_20211003_101200.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 27

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back