Puffer with Ich, need copper power help.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a blue spot puffer on Thursday. Today it has white spots, that I believe are Ich. It has not eaten much since it was purchased. We @cmiller5617 have tried krill, clam on the half shell, mysis, chroma boost. Some small bites here and there..
I have read varying opinions on how to treat puffers, and what dosing levels. Can someone provide me with a step by step? I need to know what level to raise the tank to, how quickly, and how long to keep it there. Puffer is currently in QT in a 20g. We have a Hanna copper checker.

Copper power says 2.5 ppm but everything i read is 1.5 ppm. Copper power says to dose 1 oz (29.5 ml) to 20 gallons. Quick math says 17.4 ml to get to 1.5ppm in 20 gallons? Does this sound right?

I'm thinking 5 days to raise to 1.5 ppm. So, approx 3.48 ml per day.

Hold at 1.5 ppm for 14 days

Then transfer to a new sterile tank for 14 days.

What other treatment is available if it is copper sensitive?

What are some tips to getting it to eat more? There are no live foods available locally.
Anything I'm missing?

232243.jpeg

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you read up on copper and puffers specifically? I think @lion king has documented many instances of copper being bad/fatal for puffers.

Hopefully lion king can step in or barring that hopefully somebody else knows how to safely treat puffers!

#reefsquad
I've heard its very rough on them

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge copper power is a chelated copper, that I would not use on an arothron puffer, to repeat your puffer is from the Canthigaster genus, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. If I were to use a copper on a puffer it would Seachem cupramine and I would dose to .3 no higher than .4, I would also have a copper test kit. I would not start any copper treatment without a test kit, and all test kits are not accurate for varying types of copper, so you need to check that.

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge copper power is a chelated copper, that I would not use on an arothron puffer, to repeat your puffer is from the Canthigaster genus, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. If I were to use a copper on a puffer it would Seachem cupramine and I would dose to .3 no higher than .4, I would also have a copper test kit. I would not start any copper treatment without a test kit, and all test kits are not accurate for varying types of copper, so you need to check that.
Thank you for the info. Have a Hanna tester, so definitely prepared there.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bump

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Paraguard will work but use cautiously. Start with a freshwater dip.
Thereafter , treat and remove carbon and plan on water change after treatment. Any other fish in tank ?

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paraguard will work but use cautiously. Start with a freshwater dip.
Thereafter , treat and remove carbon and plan on water change after treatment. Any other fish in tank ?
One small yellow tail damsel

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One small yellow tail damsel
BEFORE . . . and BEFORE you treat with Paraguard, try AFTER freshwater bath, giving it an epsom salt bath. They respond well to epsom. IF, no avail, then give paraguard a go. Treat paraguard at 80% of recommended dosage.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've successfully treated Blue Spots with Copper Power. Using the Hanna and holding steady at 1.75 for 30 days. Slowly dosing to 1.75 over 5 days with the doses spread out throughout the day. Can expect the fish's eating to drop off for a couple of days when nearing 1.75 ppm.

Have always fed a fish "smoothie" that uses an assortment of 7-8 frozen fish cubes: chopped clams, chopped mussel, etc. Let the cubes slump in the fridge. Mix the cubes and then strain off the excess liquid it will spike the nitrates and phosphates. Mix with a 1/2 capsule of Beta Glucan + Focus (1 scoop) + a bit of tank water. The mix will stay good in the fridge for a few days.

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEFORE . . . and BEFORE you treat with Paraguard, try AFTER freshwater bath, giving it an epsom salt bath. They respond well to epsom. IF, no avail, then give paraguard a go. Treat paraguard at 80% of recommended dosage.
Copper scares me never used it before. I think we will try a dip and paragaurd how long should we treat? The bottle doesn't really say

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Copper scares me never used it before. I think we will try a dip and paragaurd how long should we treat? The bottle doesn't really say
Treat 72 hours and see how fish looks. Make sure you are in salinity range of 1.024-1.025 and water temp 77-79

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat 72 hours and see how fish looks. Make sure you are in salinity range of 1.024-1.025 and water temp 77-79
Will do. How big of a water change? 50 %? I'll keep everyone up to date hopefully this can help others in the future.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Will do. How big of a water change? 50 %? I'll keep everyone up to date hopefully this can help others in the future.
20-30% sufficient

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back