Pulling trigger on new tank (to me) -- looking for ideas on Peninsula tank stands

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I've been thinking of migrating to a larger tank for a few years now and have been waiting for the right opportunity. We have a nice location for a peninsula tank. A great opportunity arose to acquire a nice 220G Miracles (toronto) tank that I can use as a peninsula tank. We have decided to pull the trigger. I'm going to have a stand built. I could build one, but my wife wanted me to contract one to be made by a local group (Caribbean Forest). We have seen a number of the stands that Millie at CF has made, and my wife loves her work -- as do I.

I'm looking for some pictures of peninsula tank stands to put in front of Millie as examples. I'll be creating a build page in the very near future.
Looking forward to seeing some of your peninsula tank stands!

Last edited:

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Greg - I'm in the middle of building my 400g peninsula system but don't have any pictures yet. But, what I can say is that if you haven't already, plan ahead as much as you can in terms of plumbing and lighting and tank circulation before you decide on the stand and cabinetry, as hiding pumps if they are on the end of the tank, or planning returns so they are visible or not is a little more complicated on a peninsula. Maybe you don't care all that much, but if it is part of your aesthetic to hide pumps, or have closed loops, etc. that may impact your stand and cabinetry choices. I love peninsula tanks though - I think you'll be happy. And that sounds like a nice upgrade from your 90! : )

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 125G peninsula stand with wall accent, all made from 3/4" plywood and 3/4" laminated pine...

20200626_115327.jpg

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is still in process but here are some ideas for you...

20201205_205728.jpg

20201205_205731.jpg

20201122_120910.jpg

OP
OP
Greg Gdowski

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. This is really great. Thank you!
Hiding the plumbing is a different beast. The tank that I have found has a reefsavy ghost overflow on one end. I am going to plumb it into the basement like the 90. That said, should the plumbing run through the stand or along the far side of it. I think I have decided to run it along the side of the stand. Closed looped systems seem like a lot of work to me. I like the look, but I'm unsure about this at the moment. I am looking to capitalize on my experience in plumbing the 90G into the basement. That side of the house created limitations that I didn't like. Location of return, stacking things that were difficult to clean, etc.. The ghost system almost necessitates thinking out the lighting because the mounting options are somewhat limited. JoshH -- did you drill the bottom of the tank for that flow unit in the front?

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My plumbing will run through the stand so you don't see anything.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool - if you have a remote sump, you have lots more options. My tank is in my living room and since the family doesn't want to be blinded while sitting, I am putting a canopy on mine. This means that the returns will be plumbed up and over and terminate barely visible on the short opposite the overflow. Hopefully that way I can avoid any powerheads on the short side viewing panel...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 125G peninsula stand with wall accent, all made from 3/4" plywood and 3/4" laminated pine...

20200626_115327.jpg
That looks amazing!!!

OP
OP
Greg Gdowski

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool - if you have a remote sump, you have lots more options. My tank is in my living room and since the family doesn't want to be blinded while sitting, I am putting a canopy on mine. This means that the returns will be plumbed up and over and terminate barely visible on the short opposite the overflow. Hopefully that way I can avoid any powerheads on the short side viewing panel...
I had not even thought of that. Ugh. Mine will be in the living room but behind the sofas. I did not think of the bright light effect of wash past the tank. I thought I had just figured out the canopy (in my head) or lack of one and now I'll have to rethink it.

Basement sump was always the plan. My original 45G was plumbed underneath and I thought it was a fire hazard at times. Othertimes I thought I might get a good shock. The 90G was plumbed to the basement and it has been great. I can spill gallons of water on the floor there and it doesn't matter.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks amazing!!!

Thanks Daniel!!! I agree it turned out even better than I thought it would, not too bad for my first crack at stand building. Honestly it's probably WAY overbuilt even for what it is but heck, I'm not worried about a wet floor from a stand issue :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back