Pulsing Xenia, all other things aside it is a very pretty coral?!

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone was saying that Xenia is the best selling coral. At least as far as their sales and business goes. I think it was Tan (I forget his name, I'm sorry) of Tidal Gardens. I like it but it is a bit invasive. I actually believe my rose bubble tip anemone are worse. I wish I never introduced one.
My LFS have a tank that’s been taken over by Rose Bubble Tip - put me right off! Not sure why they don’t deal with it as the tank looks crammed.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorites. Relaxing to watch. Makes a great bed for my Clown fish
66088FA5-3F93-471C-BE80-6A2ABDBADE3B.jpeg

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would gladly let Xenia overtake my tank if they were sure to always keep pulsing...but the little ******** stop mysteriously for no reason and then often never start back up. People debate...is there too much flow, not enough...too low iodine? there's a million reasons but these corals are the least understood of our entire hobby. Also for nutrient export they might equal macro algae...but if Xenia crash they dump nutrients faster than a crashing algae and that can be a problem.
Back in 2008 I had it in a 158 and when it stop pulsing I would turn off my skimmer and it would start pulsing again. I only ran the skimmer a few days out of the month. Nitrates less than 2. I very seldom cleaned the glass on this tank. It was pretty much maintenance free.

158 5-28-2008 (2).JPG

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how to isolate their growth though? Let's say if I put them on a rock island with size of a tennis ball. What happens if it runs out of space? Will it stop growing? Can't it grow on a fine sand?

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the colours (England) it is under old leds, you have to admit it is a very pretty coral! :)

Oh and a thought, a weed in your garden is just a wild flower in the wrong place, I am growing this out for a reason, research your corals people, this is great nutrient export! ;)

DSC_0715 (1024x722).jpg
I've always said a dandelion (weed) is a misunderstood wild flower.... thank you for your approach. I also find xenia to be a beautiful and unique coral... no other coral actively pulses that im aware of....

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always said a dandelion (weed) is a misunderstood wild flower.... thank you for your approach. I also find xenia to be a beautiful and unique coral... no other coral actively pulses that im aware of....

nah uh....not dandelion or any other type of weeds will grow freely on my lawn. I am OCD when it comes to my lawn. Just want them plain green. :p

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how to isolate their growth though? Let's say if I put them on a rock island with size of a tennis ball. What happens if it runs out of space? Will it stop growing? Can't it grow on a fine sand?
I do enjoy Xenia, but I just saw this last night. Thats right, Xenia attached to the shell of a dwarf cerith. So the Xenia island found another way to expand

20200526_194121.jpg

This answers your question Canadianeh. :)

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia's are my favorite corals I have them isolated on their own rock with my BTA and they do fine together, plus keep each other in check.
Xenia Rock.jpg

I actually just started a Xenia Refugium. My pods seems happy down there and its much pretty to look at then chaeto. While it may not export at the same rate as chaeto it is still doing something so I am happy so far with it.

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrient export and invasiveness aside and based purely on aesthetics I would say the pulsating Xenia would b the single most popular coral of all time!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back