Pulsing Xenia Frag Not Doing Too Well

RhiD08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

I picked up a gsp and pulsing xenia frag today from my LFS for my 13.5 gallon Fluval saltwater tank.

The pulsing xenia frag has two heads, both of which look like they could potentially be different types. When I picked it up, the one head was pulsing and open but the other head was closed but not retracted. I acclimated (30 mins) and dipped (10 mins using coral rx pro) both frags. The one head on the pulsing xenia continued to pulse and stay open while the other head continued to stay closed but not retracted through the entire acclimation and dipping process. As soon as the frag was placed in the tank however, the pulsing head shrunk/shrivelled slightly but continued to pulse and the other head closed up and retracted to about half of its original size. I have heard that it can take up to a few days for the coral to fully acclimate and adjust but I just want to make sure that it’s not slowly dying! I have a feeling that the flow may be too strong but I didn’t want to move it around too much and stress it out and I’ve included a video!

The gsp frag was closed and retracted when I picked it up and it has remained that way. Again, I’ve heard that it can take up to a few days for it to fully acclimate and adjust as well but I just want to make sure that it’s okay!

The water temperature is 78.6 degrees Fahrenheit, salinity is 1.025 ppt, pH is 7.8, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates are all 0.
Thank you for any and all help and advice!

79720A1E-9991-4A4E-9717-9F09D627418C.jpeg

OP
OP
R

RhiD08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia and GSP are both very hardy. Sounds like you did things right and water parameters are ok. Just give them some time to acclimate :)
Thank you, I appreciate it! I’m hoping they’ll turn around after a few days!

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You literally cannot kill either of those corals. Both are basically weeds. We took some of my dads Xenia, cut it, and squirted the inner material in my brothers biocube. Within a month it was full of tiny Xenia. I wouldn’t worry to much about it.

As for the GSP mine randomly closes for like a week then opens up fine again.

OP
OP
R

RhiD08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You literally cannot kill either of those corals. Both are basically weeds. We took some of my dads Xenia, cut it, and squirted the inner material in my brothers biocube. Within a month it was full of tiny Xenia. I wouldn’t worry to much about it.

As for the GSP mine randomly closes for like a week then opens up fine again.
It seems to be doing well! I moved them around and both have seemed to open up! The gsp is even touching the wall now! Although the gsp closed last night after the lights went out but opened up again this morning and is doing well!

Attachments

• 6DF521EB-7524-40BB-B08D-4CA73943E4A1.jpeg
    6DF521EB-7524-40BB-B08D-4CA73943E4A1.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 32B800AD-90C4-49BE-B3EE-C8EA8BE50965.jpeg
    32B800AD-90C4-49BE-B3EE-C8EA8BE50965.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 202

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be doing well! I moved them around and both have seemed to open up! The gsp is even touching the wall now! Although the gsp closed last night after the lights went out but opened up again this morning and is doing well!
Awesome. Good to hear. That is a nice Xenia frag man.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back