ken840515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
So I bought the red sea test kit.
But I don't know how to read the result.
Is this enough to keep the soft corals or some easy LPS?
Also did I place the corals in right spots?
I don't have the par meter so I don't know if the placement was good or not.
The corals have been there for almost a month. Ow but they are not growing for some reason.
I am using micmol aa600 light and the tank dimensions are 30in L, 198in H,
Please let me know.
And how do I read the alkinitiny?
And my salinity is about 28

Thank you

Attachments

• 20221007_092028.jpg
    20221007_092028.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20221007_092733.jpg
    20221007_092733.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20221007_093107.jpg
    20221007_093107.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20221007_093550.jpg
    20221007_093550.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20221007_093603.jpg
    20221007_093603.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20221007_094104.jpg
    20221007_094104.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20221007_094121.jpg
    20221007_094121.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 20221007_094701.jpg
    20221007_094701.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 113

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue with phosphates (a tragic feeding issue over time) being elevated for an extended period. I'm finally lowering it after months and months, but my xenia did not like it and withered away quite quickly along with a host of my favorites.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
So I bought the red sea test kit.
But I don't know how to read the result.
Is this enough to keep the soft corals or some easy LPS?
Also did I place the corals in right spots?
I don't have the par meter so I don't know if the placement was good or not.
The corals have been there for almost a month. Ow but they are not growing for some reason.
I am using micmol aa600 light and the tank dimensions are 30in L, 198in H,
Please let me know.
And how do I read the alkinitiny?
And my salinity is about 28

Thank you
Have you said had old your tank is? Your test appears to showing their is nitrite, which to me would indicates it isnt fully cycled....

OP
OP
K

ken840515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you said had old your tank is? Your test appears to showing their is nitrite, which to me would indicates it isnt fully cycled....
I mean I had the tank for l9ng time about 7,8 years.
But I didn't really had corals before until now.
So I just started adding some corals about a month ago

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I had the tank for l9ng time about 7,8 years.
But I didn't really had corals before until now.
So I just started adding some corals about a month ago
So you have had water in that tank for 7 to 8 years and the rock looks like that?

Confused Britney Spears GIF

LeDart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are lying, that rock is not mature for a 7-8 year old tank, you should have algae or something on them at least, your salinity is almost brackish, 7ppt too low, I am shocked that those clownfish are still alive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

ken840515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have had water in that tank for 7 to 8 years and the rock looks like that?

Confused Britney Spears GIF
So I had
You are lying, that rock is not mature for a 7-8 year old tank, you should have algae or something on them at least, your salinity is almost brackish, 7ppt too low, I am shocked that those clownfish are still alive.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to put on the brakes. That tank looks to new. Watch BRS 52 weeks of reefing, it takes you step by step from the initial setup of a mixed reef tank. After watching the whole thing and having a better understanding start back up the correct way. It’s a well known saying “ nothing good happens fast” so take it slow and have patience ( that is hard for all of us) if you do all of this you can have a successful reef tank but no short cuts! I wish you luck and come back here to learn more.

OP
OP
K

ken840515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had this tank for that long.
I had a crazy hair algae all over my tank.
So I tried many things to remove them but didn't work.
So I just put them in the clorox.
That is why my rocks are clean.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude your tank is pristine clean not a speck of algae on the glass on the sand on the powerheads. You think we all just started reefing last week? Its hard to help when you not honest.

Last edited:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is a little hard not to treat this like a trolling thread but I am going to do my best.
Here goes....... Please stop buying corals for the moment.
If you had that tank running that long and you had a HUGE GHA algae problem, you are having difficulty maintaining proper nutrient levels. All of which are essential for keeping corals. Good job buying better tests. Now figure out how to read them, and start checking your levels at least once a week for awhile, so you can see what is happening in your tank. Put on the coral breaks, and just start focusing on water quality for several months. You want to keep things stable and develop a good maintenance routine first. Do some research and watch some videos about how to keep a reef tank before diving in.

If you truly soaked all your rocks in bleach, then you killed all the beneficial bacterial that was helping keep your tank cycled. This could explain why you have Nitrites. Good job asking for help. Next time it would be a good idea to use some of the search features to research issues you are coming across before buying a living things and then not knowing how to properly care for it. I mean that in a kind way. There is so much knowledge at our fingertips, finding information has never been easier. Also if you are going to ask more questions, be sure you give the run down of your tank maybe pertinent history and the current water parameters, so people giving you advice know what they are working with first.

Also, you need to raise your salinity SLOWLY to 34 or 35 PPT and test using a reliable salinity checker......

OP
OP
K

ken840515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is a little hard not to treat this like a trolling thread but I am going to do my best.
Here goes....... Please stop buying corals for the moment.
If you had that tank running that long and you had a HUGE GHA algae problem, you are having difficulty maintaining proper nutrient levels. All of which are essential for keeping corals. Good job buying better tests. Now figure out how to read them, and start checking your levels at least once a week for awhile, so you can see what is happening in your tank. Put on the coral breaks, and just start focusing on water quality for several months. You want to keep things stable and develop a good maintenance routine first. Do some research and watch some videos about how to keep a reef tank before diving in.

If you truly soaked all your rocks in bleach, then you killed all the beneficial bacterial that was helping keep your tank cycled. This could explain why you have Nitrites. Good job asking for help. Next time it would be a good idea to use some of the search features to research issues you are coming across before buying a living things and then not knowing how to properly care for it. I mean that in a kind way. There is so much knowledge at our fingertips, finding information has never been easier. Also if you are going to ask more questions, be sure you give the run down of your tank maybe pertinent history and the current water parameters, so people giving you advice know what they are working with first.

Also, you need to raise your salinity SLOWLY to 34 or 35 PPT and test using a reliable salinity checker......
Thank you for your advise

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just want to add onto the salinity topic, in case you are being misunderstood. If by salinity being 28, you meant 28 parts per thousand Specific Gravity, then the advice you’ve been given here by previous posters is all correct.
I just want to make sure that by “28”, you didn’t mean 1.028. Can you please confirm?

OP
OP
K

ken840515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to add onto the salinity topic, in case you are being misunderstood. If by salinity being 28, you meant 28 parts per thousand Specific Gravity, then the advice you’ve been given here by previous posters is all correct.
I just want to make sure that by “28”, you didn’t mean 1.028. Can you please confirm?
Yes, I meant "28" the number on the right side on the meter.
Thank you

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I meant "28" the number on the right side on the meter.
Thank you
So your salinity was 1.028? If so, it’s a little high but not terrible. It can easily be lowered through water changes and making sure you’re only topping off with fresh water and not salt water.
If it was 28 ppt, that would be way too low for corals and pretty low for most other things in your tank.

OP
OP
K

ken840515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your salinity was 1.028? If so, it’s a little high but not terrible. It can easily be lowered through water changes and making sure you’re only topping off with fresh water and not salt water.
If it was 28 ppt, that would be way too low for corals and pretty low for most other things in your tank.
So mine is at either 1.023 or 30.
I did the 20% water change 2 days ago.
How do I have to raise the salinity up?
Already open the lid but not going up..

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So mine is at either 1.023 or 30.
I did the 20% water change 2 days ago.
How do I have to raise the salinity up?
Already open the lid but not going up..
Next water change, you can mix your salt a little higher to gradually bring it up - do your normal water change amount but with water mixed to 1.027. I don’t know that that’s the officially recommended way to do it, so others may offer different suggestions. It’s what I’ve done in the past and it worked for me after hubby accidentally left the ATO filling once when I was out of town. You definitely don’t want to do it too quickly.
Not saying you would, but you definitely do not want to dump salt in the tank, no matter what.
1.023 is not bad, it’s just a little lower than you want it.

Back