Pump and skimmer decisions for a RED SEA reefer deluxe .

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone has any input on a good water pump and good in sump skimmer ? Thinking about upgrading tank to a Red Sea reefer deluxe system. 34 gallon comes with ai hydra 26 . 54 gallon comes with 2 ai hydra 26 lights . I believe it comes with all plumbing and dump as well, just need to get a skimmer and pump. Wondering if there's any recommendations , preferably something I can get on marinedepot.com

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of Japanese Iwaki external pumps. Internal, I've been happy with the Sicce pumps I've had over the years. My latest build is running a Current USA Eflux DC submersible. Haven't had it long enough to give you much info on it, other than the fact that it was priced right, and it's quiet. Lots of folks seem to like the Ecotech Vectra DC line, but it seems a bit overpriced to me.

Skimmers, I've had excellent results with Reef Octopus. My new one is a Vertex, but it's not even up and running yet. Nice build quality, though. Helped a friend install a new Skimz skimmer a few weeks back. Nice unit, works very well.

SoCoFlyFisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 73 gallon Reefer and use a Reef Octopus VariosS-4 pump and an Aquamaxx ConeS CO-1 skimmer. Everything is running smooth and the skimmer does a great job removing junk.

The pump is a DC pump and I can adjust the speed so I went with a pump that has a gph rating much higher then what is recommended for the tank. This enables me to adjust the speed and still have good tank turnover.

One note is that I replaced the ATO that came with the tank and instead use a Tunze ATO system that pumps RO/DI water through a kalkreactor before feeding water into the sump to replenish evaporated water. This keeps the pH at 8.2 - 8.4 and calcium at 420 to 440 ppm.

I got everything from Marine Depot and they were great help over the phone.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 73 gallon Reefer and use a Reef Octopus VariosS-4 pump.

+1 on the Varios, I purchased the VarioS-2 (~$190) for a Red Sea Reefer 170, which may be the same size tank you're looking at. It's almost silent. The power is more than enough for me, some people go with over-sized DC pumps. I specifically picked the Varios because it's supposed to be quieted than the Ecotech Vectra (which is overkill IMO for my tank). I really like Sicce pumps, but I wanted a DC pump with variable power, so I picked Varios.

There are many skimmers at different price points. Reef Octopus seems solid, I've seen mixed reviews on Skimz quality. I went with a NYOS 120, an expensive and potentially overkill option but I'm coming off a skimmer I hate (CadLights) and wanted something silent.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately Sicce now offers a DC variable speed pump at a very good price, a little hard to find right now as they are new but at least there's another option now

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back