Pump to remove water from tank for water change - is there a setup that would still let me clean sand?

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys - tried looking for this and I imagine it’s there somewhere but couldn’t find it. I’d like to do a bucket-less REMOVAL of water from the tank during water changes directly into a tub that is 10-15ft away from the tank, no elevation change. The motivation is to minimize carrying a 5 gal bucket full of tank water through a carpeted area (2.5-5gal is my likely water change amount per change). At the most basic level, I know I can just grab a utility pump and hold that in the tank while it pumps water through a line directly into the tub. But would I not lose out on the siphon’s advantage to gently sift the sand? Is there a setup with a pump that allows me to do this? I would use a python but none of my sinks are compatible.

Either that or I’m overthinking it and just let me know if that’s the case to. TIA

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Python makes a universal adapter that uses a rubber piece that is clamped around the faucet and joined to a connector for the Python hoses. This is what I have on my basement utility sink that did not have the right faucet connection for Python systems.

This is not a direct answer to your question, though, so I hope others can respond with pumped-water systems that allow for vacuuming sand as well as removing water.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Python makes a universal adapter that uses a rubber piece that is clamped around the faucet and joined to a connector for the Python hoses. This is what I have on my basement utility sink that did not have the right faucet connection for Python systems.

This is not a direct answer to your question, though, so I hope others can respond with pumped-water systems that allow for vacuuming sand as well as removing water.
Why don’t you look at aquarium vacuums. You can do your vacuuming an than attach a pipe long enough to reach the sink.
you can find one in a £30 mark on AliExpess.
just a thought.

OP
OP
BonsaiDave

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Will take a look at the universal adapter and see if it could work. Faucet has glued on/permanent screen with maybe 1/4 inch of surface area that I could look at attaching this to. Thanks for mentioning.

OP
OP
BonsaiDave

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you look at aquarium vacuums. You can do your vacuuming an than attach a pipe long enough to reach the sink.
you can find one in a £30 mark on AliExpess.
just a thought.
Hadn’t heard of these - this is potentially a good option, thanks! Taking a look at some now to see.

OP
OP
BonsaiDave

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a pump that you can plumb hose barb onto the inlet, you can then attach a hose to the inlet side to suck at the sand and just run the outlet hose to the tub
Might be a pretty simple solution. Any worry of stuff clogging the pump in this case, or I would just have to pick a pump that can pass particulates in case some sand gets sucked up?

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a pretty simple solution. Any worry of stuff clogging the pump in this case, or I would just have to pick a pump that can pass particulates in case some sand gets sucked up?
I've done it with an an older pump in the past. I'm sure the impeller will wear more quickly than normal, but if it isn;t a large item it should be fine.
You could always cut a piece of sponge or other large particle filter material to stick in the tube to block large particulates. However, unless your sucking up snails or rocks I think it will be fine.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're planning to use a siphon tube where the sand doesn't get sucked up but falls out of suspension and back down, You may need to ditch the pump idea. All of those are designed with a tube size large enough for sand to fall out of the water at a natural siphon flow rate. Not at the rate water being drawn into a pump. I believe the water will be moving too fast coming down through a pump and you would suck much of your sand up and through.

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're planning to use a siphon tube where the sand doesn't get sucked up but falls out of suspension and back down, You may need to ditch the pump idea. All of those are designed with a tube size large enough for sand to fall out of the water at a natural siphon flow rate. Not at the rate water being drawn into a pump. I believe the water will be moving too fast coming down through a pump and you would suck much of your sand up and through.
If you push the siphon tube into the sand it sure would. Good call out. When I did this several years ago I had to keep the siphon tube about 1/2" above the sand and it would tumble the top layers of sand around. I only did it because of a shoulder surgery that made tank maintenance difficult for about six months.

Now, I put a 1 micron filter sock into my sump and run my siphon into that to filter the detritus for sand cleaning. I still use a pump and tube to empty water for water changes

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you push the siphon tube into the sand it sure would. Good call out. When I did this several years ago I had to keep the siphon tube about 1/2" above the sand and it would tumble the top layers of sand around. I only did it because of a shoulder surgery that made tank maintenance difficult for about six months.

Now, I put a 1 micron filter sock into my sump and run my siphon into that to filter the detritus for sand cleaning. I still use a pump and tube to empty water for water changes
This would sort the sand issue

Just add a filter sock to the return

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back