Pumps off for feeding?

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a benefit to turning off the return pumps before feeding and letting the tank level fall below overflow so no food goes in the overflow down into filtration? Then turning back on in 30 min or so?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. That is a practice that has been adopted by many. Why waste food into the overflow so that it can get lodged in the mechanical filtration and break down?

Although 30 minutes may be too long, I think I have my return pump programmed to be off for 10 minutes during feeding.

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a benefit to turning off the return pumps before feeding and letting the tank level fall below overflow so no food goes in the overflow down into filtration? Then turning back on in 30 min or so?
I have filter socks in my sump so I turn off my return pump when I feed. I’d rather the fish eat the food than have it go down the overflow into the sock!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine shut off for ten minutes. It prevents food from going down the overflow and gives my mandarin a chance to catch all of the scrumptious frozen mysis that settles on the bottom.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two feed modes programmed with my apex, one 10 minute mode that shuts off the gyres, the mp40's go to minimum and the return pump slows down to 20%. The second mode is a 20 minute timer that shuts off all powerheads and the return slows to 20%. The second mode acts as my maintenance mode as well, easy to clean or swap out wet sides on the mp40's and replace impellers and cages on the gyres. I feed multiple times a day, so it's important the the fish get the food and it doesn't go to waste, but I have plenty of CUC that take care of the leftovers.

Michael Rossi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will usually turn the power heads off but keep the return pump going. I put half the food in and let them eat it until the point it all is gone or settled to the bottom. I then add the second half of the food. Once that is gone or settled at the bottom, I put on one power head that lifts everything off the sand bed and back into the water column. After about five minutes I put on the second power head. Not sure if this is ideal, but its been working so far for me :)

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. That is a practice that has been adopted by many. Why waste food into the overflow so that it can get lodged in the mechanical filtration and break down?

Although 30 minutes may be too long, I think I have my return pump programmed to be off for 10 minutes during feeding.
you using apex to turn off pumps?

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have filter socks in my sump so I turn off my return pump when I feed. I’d rather the fish eat the food than have it go down the overflow into the sock!
Do you do this manually or also use an apex or some timer? If so which one?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my feed mode sets my return to about 1 percent. my overflow is on the left side of my tank so i turn up the gyre on that side of the tank which circulates the food and pushes it away from the over flow. best of two worlds, my fish love to chase the food and it stays in the tank where it belongs.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going on 2 1/2 years. The issue that vectra had in the early days is over heating based on poor circulation through the anti-lime bypass. it clogged and caused problems primarily for those that used it as an external pump. The lack of heat dissipation created premature death of the pumps windings. That issue has been resolved many times over. And the 2nd generation pumps have a more efficient volute.

Mine is a gen 1 but run it internally so I dont worry about heating issues.

I clean it once a year and don't have a problem.

smm52487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave all pumps off while feeding as well. Keep as much out of the overflow as possible.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn my return pump off, but turn power heads to 100%. Let my fish chase their food.

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like turning off my return pump unless I have to.. the sump fills, probes get fully submerged, and it jets bubbles when starting back up. It’s made it so I do t bother with a feed mode when feeding. Anyone else experience this?

I should probably just connect my Octo8 pump to the apex, so I can dial the flow way back rather than turn it off altogether..

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back