Purchase RODI system or just RODI water?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally only have a 14 gallon so it’s not too annoying to just go to my LFS that’s only. 25 min away to pick up 3, 5 gallon jugs for $1/gallon so i usually spend $15 every 2 months. When I started my tank I looked into getting a system, but you need to have proper plumbing and you have to take a measurements on your Fossett and it takes hours for it to give you several gallons of water and it’s a real pain
Just to point it out;
You're spending $90.00/year plus tax just for water.
Plus gas, car wear and tear, and your travelling time each trip to buy those 3 x 5g jugs. And you're expecting the LFS to keep their filters clean so you get 0TDS water each time.

You could easily pay for a brand new RODI system in it's first year of use in your home.
And then you're saving money each year moving forward.
If properly cared for, you can get 3-5 years life from an RO membrane.
And each pre-filter and carbon filter are cheap with long life 3500-5000gallons per filter.
At 4:1 that's nearly 900 gallons of filtered water on the low end.

So if you're only using 75g/year of filtered water you'll get more life from the pre and carbon filters than the recommended by-the-month change intervals.

If you need the DI portion it's not so bad if your source water has lower TDS.

I'd look into it if I were you !!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clo

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to point it out;
You're spending $90.00/year plus tax just for water.
Plus gas, car wear and tear, and your travelling time each trip to buy those 3 x 5g jugs. And you're expecting the LFS to keep their filters clean so you get 0TDS water each time.

You could easily pay for a brand new RODI system in it's first year of use in your home.
And then you're saving money each year moving forward.
If properly cared for, you can get 3-5 years life from an RO membrane.
And each pre-filter and carbon filter are cheap with long life 3500-5000gallons per filter.
At 4:1 that's nearly 900 gallons of filtered water on the low end.

So if you're only using 75g/year of filtered water you'll get more life from the pre and carbon filters than the recommended by-the-month change intervals.

If you need the DI portion it's not so bad if your source water has lower TDS.

I'd look into it if I were you !!
I guess I forgot to update, but I will be doing the RODI system. :)
My husband said he would help me set it up. And we have a spare bathtub that doesn't get used that I can keep the jugs/tubs/containers in. But, I'll probably hook it up to the sink unless I find a way to hook it up to the shower or tub.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back