Purchasing a zoa rock, pest prevention/transferring to newrock?

NewbReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I'm purchasing a zoa rock for a great deal but my only concern is I have a new tank, so don't want to start off with a ton of pests as I don't know if/what the current owner has, although I appreciate they are inevitable at some point. I have a second tank which I'm going to put them in for the time being, but my current plan is to cut the rock in half, keep half for myself and sell the other half as I will get my money back from that due to the size.

Can I actually pop a large stack of zoas of a rock, of do I need to essentially keep a thin later of the rock underneath?
If I do pop off a chunk of rock, is it a good idea to super glue exposed rock areas to minimise any nasties popping out? Would this provide irritation for the zoas/stop them from growing if it get's on their foot/stalk?

Just trying to figure out the best way to do this without any long term issues.

I appeciate any help!

Thanks!

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re tough. I’ve had some that grew super long stalks under carpets of cyano and then survived the toothbrush scraping them clean, something I read on here said “if there’s flesh there’s a chance” applying to coral I think it’s true and zoas will grab onto a rock if flow is low enough to keep them there - reef safe super glue would b fine long as u don’t glue them closed lol

h2o2 dip for zoas - use weaker dilution to avoid longer term damage but I have seen much success with h202 dip

OP
OP
N

NewbReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re tough. I’ve had some that grew super long stalks under carpets of cyano and then survived the toothbrush scraping them clean, something I read on here said “if there’s flesh there’s a chance” applying to coral I think it’s true and zoas will grab onto a rock if flow is low enough to keep them there - reef safe super glue would b fine long as u don’t glue them closed lol

h2o2 dip for zoas - use weaker dilution to avoid longer term damage but I have seen much success with h202 dip

Thanks for the tip!

Back