Purge for montipora eating nudis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
A little background..

I have a 300+ gallon system. Up and running 4 years and has been thriving.

Recently I had picked up some montis... went through my normal process of dipping, holding tank then into the system. No visible pests when I dipped.

Low and behold first hit was my tropic thunder. Decimated. Pulled it out and had nudis all over the base.

Next to go was a 10" setosa that in no way could be pulled out. Decimated.

Fast forward lost most of my high end Montis. A few ordinary ones are doing fine. My nudis have great taste!

I picked up some yellow coris. They seem to be working hard during the day... but the freaks come out at night!

So here I go.

Day 1. Aug 31st 8:15pm.

Dosed 30 ounces of Purge.

Skimmer off, no charcoal and UV off.

More to come.

Last edited:

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Wow Mike,

That sucks. I had them in my previous system and almost gave up on montis as the lil devils dont seem to die. I left one in a 20x concentrated dip and it survived for hours and stayed alive... i hate them

denverjon

View Badges
Reaction score
They're the worst pest in my opinion. I threw all my montis out six months ago, added my first one last week and found two nudis on it last night. Interested to hear how things go!

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Reefinny sorry to hear that happened. Pests seem to always go for the expensive stuff.

I've dealt with Monti nudis for years and find them to be fairly easy to get rid of before adding corals to tank. I use seachem reef dip with amazing success. Heavily infested may take two dips. I space out the second dip a couple days sometimes 3 days and have had 100 percent eradication with multiple dips prior to adding to display.
If you have them in the display and can't remove all motipora things do get complicated.

https://www.seachem.com/reef-dip.php

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
@Reefinny sorry to hear that happened. Pests seem to always go for the expensive stuff.

I've dealt with Monti nudis for years and find them to be fairly easy to get rid of before adding corals to tank. I use seachem reef dip with amazing success. Heavily infested may take two dips. I space out the second dip a couple days sometimes 3 days and have had 100 percent eradication with multiple dips prior to adding to display.
If you have them in the display and can't remove all motipora things do get complicated.

https://www.seachem.com/reef-dip.php
Thanks I am very regimented with my dipping, had this dipped and in a holding tank for a few weeks with no signs.

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
12 hours in

So last night I was up a few times with the flashlight. Did not see any active Nudis.

This am my Rainbow Starburst that was getting hit pretty hard did not appear to have more tissue loss.

Lights are just coming on but as of now, fish are swimming and clam is pretty closed up.

Acros to early to tell.

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you for the update!! :)

Last edited:

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Great to hear!! :)

Last edited:

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
I also want to thank you for documenting this. Although I have never had to deal with these pests, I love Montipora and always have that “what if” In the back of my head saying, what if I got them one day, how would I ever fight them.

If purge really does eradicate them, it will be a game changer on so many levels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
So just a little update. I was up again last night a few times with the flashlight. I have no signs of them. My montis that were getting hit show no new tissue loss.

My skimmer and uv is still off. I think I will be turning it back on later today.

Friday I will do a partial waterchange and dose again and take the skimmer and uv back offline.

So far so good.

My acros, clams, cleaner shrimp, fish and unfortunately aptasia seems fine.

jimbob928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am not familiar with the "Purge" product you are using. Who makes it?

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.uwcmn.com/product-page/...a-eating-flatworm-treatment-pre-order-special
3251479ea4c82d687557129dfbce1596.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back