OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish both look really good, just breathing a bit too fast. What's your water temperature? You're confident you got your dose/water volume correct? I really wouldn't redose the prazi until 7 days are up.

Jay
Doing a water change and dosing at a higher concentration today. Noticed my blue-streak goby is coughing now also. The tangs are still breathing the same. Still no spots or other new symptoms.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a water change and dosing at a higher concentration today. Noticed my blue-streak goby is coughing now also. The tangs are still breathing the same. Still no spots or other new symptoms.
O.K., make sure you aerate well during the treatment.
Jay

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., make sure you aerate well during the treatment.
Jay

Some new info- attached are two videos. The first (sorry for the blue lights) is the goby’s cough. The second, with better lighting, is the goby’s bowel movement. I’ve heard that white stool can be a sign of internal parasite, and I’m honestly not sure what normal is for the goby. The tangs stool is usually just like bursts of algae, nothing like this that I have seen.
https://youtube.com/shorts/_7lJ9ogGwD8

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that looks like a bolus of mucus. It can be normal, from a change in diet, or feeding too many pellets, or it can indicate bacterial or protozoan gut infections.

I've never seen that sort of gape before like shown in the first video - not a normal "cough" to me - may be something particular to that species? I haven't worked with them before, so I can't say.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good way to aerate? I have a tunze 6045 angled upward for surface agitation. Should I run my skimmer with no cup and let it overflow back into the sump?
Yes - run the skimmer with no cup. As long as the Tunze is breaking the surface tension, that helps as well.

Jay

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that looks like a bolus of mucus. It can be normal, from a change in diet, or feeding too many pellets, or it can indicate bacterial or protozoan gut infections.

I've never seen that sort of gape before like shown in the first video - not a normal "cough" to me - may be something particular to that species? I haven't worked with them before, so I can't say.

Jay
Hm, interesting. I had an orange spotted goby last year, he didn’t live but a week when I got him home (his belly turned black, very odd). He also did this gape with his mouth every so often. I’ve read a couple different opinions of it being a defensive behavior, or just their trying to get food from the water column. As far as change in diet, I have fed my tank some pellets recently that I normally don’t (not many and the clowns usually get them all), and I’ve fed a carnivore mix of frozen food in addition to the mysis I normally feed.
I added a line from an air hose into my dt as well, just as an extra precaution for aeration. Plenty of surface agitation and added oxygen!
In any even, hopefully this round of treatment does well for my tank. I’m going to try changing my scape a bit to see if o can’t get my tangs to settle back down, they’ve been aggressive towards each other since starting treatment and that stress I’m sure is not helping. Thanks for all the help!

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - run the skimmer with no cup. As long as the Tunze is breaking the surface tension, that helps as well.

Jay
Looks like I may have a new issue... the goby has this strange white lump on his forehead, and possibly a couple white spots. I’m seeing a white spec on my purple tang and one of my clowns also. The pictures are mostly to guide your eyes during the videos. There is sand and some bubbles floating around, and the lump on his head looks like a piece of course substrate, but it and these specs are not falling off like sand normally does which is what’s concerning me. My fish love to stick close to my goby, so they are always getting sand stuck to themselves, but it doesn’t normally stick this long. What are your thoughts??

2931BBC5-C356-4BB8-9CEA-48E507FE7228.jpeg
E8652055-97F4-4417-AFA5-345CBCC70988.jpeg
979EBBDF-DF66-4C47-A9DE-4A202EB6C324.jpeg

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white piece fell off the goby’s head.. looks like maybe he damaged his skin or something though? The white spots are still on him, the purple tang and clown, that hasn’t changed.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing here is to evaluate the fish for ich - not all white spots are of course ich, and many causes are not serious. However, ich always starts with one or two spots, so you need to watch. Spots that drop off and none return are usually of no consequence. Spots that remain more than 48 hours or so and usually not ich. It is the small, discrete spots that disappear after 24 to 36 hours, then new spots show up elsewhere, that is what you want to be aware of for ich.

Jay

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing here is to evaluate the fish for ich - not all white spots are of course ich, and many causes are not serious. However, ich always starts with one or two spots, so you need to watch. Spots that drop off and none return are usually of no consequence. Spots that remain more than 48 hours or so and usually not ich. It is the small, discrete spots that disappear after 24 to 36 hours, then new spots show up elsewhere, that is what you want to be aware of for ich.

Jay
No new spots to report today. The purple tang still has the spot in the same place near his head, the clown in the same place on his side, and the goby on its lower fin. These are VERY small spots, im honestly surprised I could see them at all. The only new development is that the tail fin of the goby is damaged today. My purple tang had some damage to his dorsal fin last week but it has already grown back. Tangs are still breathing hard, and are eating and swimming just fine. After two treatments of prazipro, my featherdusters are still alive. Does this mean I’m not dosing enough? I’m not sure if I’m being paranoid or what, I just don’t want to see these guys wind up dead!

3D27A5B6-2941-4FB6-A647-D0EBC1687C22.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prazipro should have killed/damaged those small dusters, how did you calculate the tank volume?
Jay

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prazipro should have killed/damaged those small dusters, how did you calculate the tank volume?
Jay
DT 48*24*22 = 25,344 / 231 = app. 110 g * .85 = app. 93 g
SUMP 32*12*8 = 3,072 / 231 = app. 13 g

93 g + 13 g = 106 g.

I dosed 4.75 tsp the first time, enough for 95 g. The second time, I dosed 5.5 tsp, enough for 110 g.

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
I’m sure you’re sick of hearing from me by now! The spot that was on my purple tang and clown has disappeared and no new spots are found. Spot is still on lower fin of goby but his tail fin has already healed almost completely since yesterday. Only new finding today is on my scopas tang. Near its gills I saw a spot that was lighter than normal and lighter than the rest of his side. Now, he is growing and I see his spots turning into lines, so I don’t know what to think! Picture and video attached. Tangs are still breathing shallow and rapidly and I think my feather dusters are multiplying rather than dying from the prazipro.

276915AA-2109-4926-BAF7-C630FAC4CE7E.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT 48*24*22 = 25,344 / 231 = app. 110 g * .85 = app. 93 g
SUMP 32*12*8 = 3,072 / 231 = app. 13 g

93 g + 13 g = 106 g.

I dosed 4.75 tsp the first time, enough for 95 g. The second time, I dosed 5.5 tsp, enough for 110 g.
Seems like good numbers, I just wanted to double check that, since the dusters didn’t die.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure you’re sick of hearing from me by now! The spot that was on my purple tang and clown has disappeared and no new spots are found. Spot is still on lower fin of goby but his tail fin has already healed almost completely since yesterday. Only new finding today is on my scopas tang. Near its gills I saw a spot that was lighter than normal and lighter than the rest of his side. Now, he is growing and I see his spots turning into lines, so I don’t know what to think! Picture and video attached. Tangs are still breathing shallow and rapidly and I think my feather dusters are multiplying rather than dying from the prazipro.

276915AA-2109-4926-BAF7-C630FAC4CE7E.jpeg

I don’t see anything identifiably treatable on the scopas....and I don’t want to just shotgun ideas out there. I think you should wait to see what develops with that, it may be nothing at all.
Jay

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see anything identifiably treatable on the scopas....and I don’t want to just shotgun ideas out there. I think you should wait to see what develops with that, it may be nothing at all.
Jay
Thanks Jay! Any signs of HLLE on the scopas? I notice some lines on my scopas tangs face and around its eye, that I don’t see on the scopas tangs at the stores.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay! Any signs of HLLE on the scopas? I notice some lines on my scopas tangs face and around its eye, that I don’t see on the scopas tangs at the stores.
Looking again, there may be a hint of HLLE above the left eye, but tough to say for sure.
Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back