OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking again, there may be a hint of HLLE above the left eye, but tough to say for sure.
Jay
I took a couple more pictures that I think confirm HLLE for the scopas. The purple tang is unaffected. I feed them Ocean Nutrition Green Algae Seaweed everyday, always in two places so there isn’t a battle for food. There is also some red macro growing on one piece of rock they like. And I feed frozen mysis shrimp once daily, twice on the weekends. I’m going to start adding vitamins to the mysis this weekend also. Anything else I can do to help? I don’t run carbon, but I did when I first started the tank. Not sure if that can be considered a culprit being that the other tang is not affected?

81C59A65-3796-4295-A4EB-3F2E5492D75E.jpeg

39B3331A-6854-4384-99DD-C2244EFFF5BD.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Past carbon use has also been implicated in causing HLLE. That said, purple tangs are much more susceptible to it that are scopas tangs, so this still may not be it.

Jay

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Past carbon use has also been implicated in causing HLLE. That said, purple tangs are much more susceptible to it that are scopas tangs, so this still may not be it.

Jay
Today’s the day I would dose prazi for a third time. As previously stated, my feather dusters are not only alive and well, they are continuing to multiply. This serves as an indication that I may not have dosed heavily enough to eradicate flukes. Given my fishes reactions to the medication (scratching/flashing on sand, darting, irritability), is it safe to assume the prazi was having some affect and that flukes may still be a possible culprit? Fish are still exhibiting symptoms of flukes, and all previously observed white spots have since disappeared (except one on the goby’s lower fin) so I am assuming they are unrelated and likely circumstantial (maybe sand specks, etc.).

is it possible to OD prazipro in a tank with no wrasse? I’ll be dosing in ml rather than tsp for more accurate measuring this time around, but I am considering dosing 29.5 ml for 120 g of water.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: feather dusters - I'm just repeating the warning on the bottle, I have never dosed a tank with dusters in it myself. The problem with Prazipro isn't the praziquantel itself, that can be dosed up to 4 mg/l - it is the solvent they use. It is easily consumed by bacteria, and that creates a low dissolved oxygen situation.

Jay

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: feather dusters - I'm just repeating the warning on the bottle, I have never dosed a tank with dusters in it myself. The problem with Prazipro isn't the praziquantel itself, that can be dosed up to 4 mg/l - it is the solvent they use. It is easily consumed by bacteria, and that creates a low dissolved oxygen situation.

Jay
Should I try a different medicine that can apply a more potent dose of praziquantel (if there is such a thing)?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I try a different medicine that can apply a more potent dose of praziquantel (if there is such a thing)?
I don't know where you can get small amounts of praziquantel in pure form. General Cure has prazi in it, but also metronidazole, so you can't dose that higher than normal.

Remind me, what was your treatment spacing with the Prazipro?

Jay

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know where you can get small amounts of praziquantel in pure form. General Cure has prazi in it, but also metronidazole, so you can't dose that higher than normal.

Remind me, what was your treatment spacing with the Prazipro?

Jay
Once every 7 days. I treated on 3/13 and 3/20. Increased the dosage last time on 3/20, but it did not eradicate the issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once every 7 days. I treated on 3/13 and 3/20. Increased the dosage last time on 3/20, but it did not eradicate the issue.
Well, that is appropriate, so I don't know what to tell you.....

Jay

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Counted my scopas' breathing today after it displayed similar behavior and is otherwise healthy. Measured 130-140/minute. Same respiratory rate as my lawnmower blenny, who exhibits similar behavior. Both eating, both flashing/scratching.

Would love to know if the prazi solved the issue.

I run my tank at 78 and 1.026. Ph is usually between 8.3-8.5. Po4 was 0.18 and no3 about 15 on Sunday. All other params nominal. (CA about 430,mag near 1300, alk about 9.5). I recently started carbon dosing with vidka/vinegar.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Counted my scopas' breathing today after it displayed similar behavior and is otherwise healthy. Measured 130-140/minute. Same respiratory rate as my lawnmower blenny, who exhibits similar behavior. Both eating, both flashing/scratching.

I run my tank at 78 and 1.026. Ph is usually between 8.3-8.5. Po4 was 0.18 and no3 about 15 on Sunday. All other params nominal. (CA about 430,mag near 1300, alk about 9.5). I recently started carbon dosing with vidka/vinegar.
Lawnmower blennies often breathe fast, I don't know why, but your tang should be breathing at less than 100 bpm at that water temperature.

Jay

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s everyone breathing now?

things in my tank are good! After 3 doses, I didn’t treat any further but I did make some additional changes to make tank. I started feeding with selcon, I purchased an upgraded return pump, and placed additional powerheads in the tank for increase turnover and flow. everything is happy and healthy now!

Back