Purple candelabra gorgonian trouble (photosynthetic)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it's okay with quite a bit of flow but not narrow streams of it? Extreme example, but like a river vs a pressure hose? Just a hunch.
Very true, this is why when setting up tank with full of coral to have flow bouncing off the tank walls and not a direct stream. This will allow you to crank up the power and get some extreme flow without damaging the flesh off Coral.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on the tissue for further recession or signs of infection. Could try supplementing a small amount of iodine for a bit, maybe? Gorgonians (especially purple varieties) incorporate a non-trivial amount of iodine as a part of their tissue in the form of the protein gorgonin, and perhaps it could aid in recovery and rebuilding of tissue. I think as long as you keep things on the upswing though, it should come back. They are very hardy once settled.

I don't know if the iodine would help conclusively, so take it with a grain of salt.

Gorgonians are primarily planktivores and especially phyto. The smaller the better.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check Nitrates as my Gorg sulked and had flesh receding when my nitrates dropped too low.

Goodluck and i hope it comes right!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first gorgonian about a month ago and its condition is already starting to deteriorate I haven’t been much of a coral killer yet but maybe this is my time to learn a tough lesson. I have it in an area of my tank with fairly strong flow and good lighting. I feed it reef fuel and I also feed the tank phytofeast. My parameters might be a little off (I’m new to this) but my other corals (Zoas, mushrooms, Duncan, Kenya tree) all seem to be doing pretty good.
Recently I dealt with Dino’s and they were all over the poor gorgonian and possibly caused a lot of damage. During this time I also did some partial blackouts. I know gorgonians need a lot of light. Could this be part of the issue? Any help would be great!! I’m struggling and I don’t want to lose this beauty
I just had a chance to ask Than of Tidal Gardens about his choice of flow for gorgonians, and he says strong but indirect, and variable so there are some rest periods.

OP
OP
Gabtron92

Gabtron92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a chance to ask Than of Tidal Gardens about his choice of flow for gorgonians, and he says strong but indirect, and variable so there are some rest periods.
Great to know!! Thanks so much for asking for me since I took the flow off the gorg he’s doing much better! Seems to like indirect for sure

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back