• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Purple Coralline Starter Cultures - $25 Shipped

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow reefers, I have a problem; and its one I want to share with all of you.

purple.problem.jpg

Every week, I battle back the invading purple army. Like Sisyphus, I'm cursed to scrape the bottom 3" of my tank so I can continue to see what I'm spending all this money and time on behind the acrylic walls.

It wasn't always this way. In fact, this time last year I had pristine white rocks.

before.jpg

I'm not sure what I did to deserve this curse wonderful blessing, but my desire for more coral has prompted me to share it with you all.

Disclaimers:

My system is relatively pest free - I do have vermatid snails (dang things snuck in from my last system when I needed with a piece of rock from my sump). Fish disease wise, it is free of any pests. Every fish in my system has gone through a minimum of a 6 week QT cycle, treated with gram-/+ abx and copper; so if you're looking for a good starter bacteria culture as well you should be able to just dump my tank water right into your new system.

I've literally never had a dino bloom, GHA outbreak, or any other major new tank nasty in this system. I recently suffered a bit of a cyano outbreak on my back sand that was fixed with a round of chemiclean. I think it was from me letting my nitrates bottom out. Oops.

Alright, now that I got that out of the way, here's the selling details - I'm going to ship you a specimen cup with some crushed up coralline scrapings in tank water. I'll bag it up to help prevent leaks and ship it through First Class USPS via padded envelops. If you want more than a specimen cup, or have any other questions, shoot me a PM and we can work something out. All this for $25 shipped.

purple4.jpg

Happy reefing!

Sea Witch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow reefers, I have a problem; and its one I want to share with all of you.

purple.problem.jpg

Every week, I battle back the invading purple army. Like Sisyphus, I'm cursed to scrape the bottom 3" of my tank so I can continue to see what I'm spending all this money and time on behind the acrylic walls.

It wasn't always this way. In fact, this time last year I had pristine white rocks.

before.jpg

I'm not sure what I did to deserve this curse wonderful blessing, but my desire for more coral has prompted me to share it with you all.

Disclaimers:

My system is relatively pest free - I do have vermatid snails (dang things snuck in from my last system when I needed with a piece of rock from my sump). Fish disease wise, it is free of any pests. Every fish in my system has gone through a minimum of a 6 week QT cycle, treated with gram-/+ abx and copper; so if you're looking for a good starter bacteria culture as well you should be able to just dump my tank water right into your new system.

I've literally never had a dino bloom, GHA outbreak, or any other major new tank nasty in this system. I recently suffered a bit of a cyano outbreak on my back sand that was fixed with a round of chemiclean. I think it was from me letting my nitrates bottom out. Oops.

Alright, now that I got that out of the way, here's the selling details - I'm going to ship you a specimen cup with some crushed up coralline scrapings in tank water. I'll bag it up to help prevent leaks and ship it through First Class USPS via padded envelops. If you want more than a specimen cup, or have any other questions, shoot me a PM and we can work something out. All this for $25 shipped.

purple4.jpg

Happy reefing!
What did you do to get this concern up and running.... I've been trying to get mine seeded.... but with all the dipping, fear and quarantining I got nothing! Looked around for some healthy tanks locally.... but havnt had the luck i'd like.

OP
OP
DarkSky

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do to get this concern up and running.... I've been trying to get mine seeded.... but with all the dipping, fear and quarantining I got nothing! Looked around for some healthy tanks locally.... but havnt had the luck i'd like.

High calcium (500), stable alk at 8.5dKh, higher nutrients (10-20 ppm NO3, 0.15-0.2 ppm PO4), high flow to help spread it around, and T5 (8 bulb ATI Powermodule). PAR around 180-500.

I think the strain I have is very prolific.

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking tank! DarkSky!

Biggest thing I noticed with growing coraline was when I added kalkwasser to my ATO, it exploded in growth and I know others have observed the same.

Sea Witch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High calcium (500), stable alk at 8.5dKh, higher nutrients (10-20 ppm NO3, 0.15-0.2 ppm PO4), high flow to help spread it around, and T5 (8 bulb ATI Powermodule). PAR around 180-500.

I think the strain I have is very prolific.
Good looking tank! DarkSky!

Biggest thing I noticed with growing coraline was when I added kalkwasser to my ATO, it exploded in growth and I know others have observed the same.
Thanks I'll add some now. . Appreciate all the help

OP
OP
DarkSky

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump - now that winter is over and weather is warming back up, I'm ready to ship more out.

img_20190917_121645-jpg.1223784

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would I just dump these pieces in my tank or is there any process I would need to follow to give it the best chance at taking?
Definitely interested.

OP
OP
DarkSky

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would I just dump these pieces in my tank or is there any process I would need to follow to give it the best chance at taking?
Definitely interested.

Crush it up into a fine pulp, then dump it in a high flow area of your display so that it gets blown everywhere. That's half of my problem, I spend so much time scraping my tank that it just causes more of the same problem... :D

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back