Purple digitata turns orange and green

Bigreefer402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a purple digi frag almost 2 years ago now and like all digi’s it’s grown very fast. 6 months ago I upgraded from a 15 to a 40 gallon. I broke off the heaps of digi I had that was very healthy. When I put the new rocks in the new tank I noticed some digi left on the rock and didn’t care about it because of how fast it grows. Within the past 2 weeks 3 small blotches of the digi left behind have turned from brown purple to now having vibrant orange centers and bright green tips on the polyps. It’s in probably less than 100 par because it only gets hit by my supplemental current USA led. The small blotches are 6-8 inches from the mother colony (directly under 165w of LED) that is still vibrant purple. This sounds crazy and I’ve Scoured the internet trying to find answers but haven’t found anything. Please help me find an answer to this it’s really bizarre and I’ll try to get pictures but it doesn’t show up well since I use LED’s.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bigreefer402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
666B4791-C219-4F8B-B5A5-C1A460E65CEF.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bigreefer402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a purple digi frag almost 2 years ago now and like all digi’s it’s grown very fast. 6 months ago I upgraded from a 15 to a 40 gallon. I broke off the heaps of digi I had that was very healthy. When I put the new rocks in the new tank I noticed some digi left on the rock and didn’t care about it because of how fast it grows. Within the past 2 weeks 3 small blotches of the digi left behind have turned from brown purple to now having vibrant orange centers and bright green tips on the polyps. It’s in probably less than 100 par because it only gets hit by my supplemental current USA led. The small blotches are 6-8 inches from the mother colony (directly under 165w of LED) that is still vibrant purple. This sounds crazy and I’ve Scoured the internet trying to find answers but haven’t found anything. Please help me find an answer to this it’s really bizarre and I’ll try to get pictures but it doesn’t show up well since I use LED’s.
DCA7CBF3-D258-48C6-BD65-0C5CD6ED8875.jpeg
Here’s a photo I was able to get. Keep in mind this is a purple digitata

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bigreefer402

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but if you still have this coral I’m curious what it looks like now..?
I’ve had this strain of digi for 5 years now. I can say the coloration is a type of response to stress or a location that gives it the color. I can’t say exactly why it colored like this. Right now I can lions around and see multiple spots that have the coloration still. I must have a million digi polyps no joke. Could be a rare mutation, or just a stress response. Maybe one day when research can be done we can say exactly why.

Upvote 0
Back