Purple Firefish Lethargic

Marine21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve noticed my purple firefish being lethargic as of this morning staying on the sand instead of being in the middle swimming into his cave and bonding with his best friend (regal tang). I’ve tried peas with the shells removed incase it was his swim bladder as he was tilting a big but that has settled for now. He didn’t take any food this morning or afternoon when I fed him either, he’s trying his best to swim around but is only doing it for short periods of time. Can anyone diagnose what it is? He has a white/red wound behind his left pectoral fin so he either hurt himself going into his cave too hard or he’s been attacked. His tank mates are a clownfish, regal tang and anthias.

Attachments

• IMG_1556.MOV
    37 MB

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the video you posted but by what you’re describing and what you have partnered up with the firefish I’d say he’s getting bullied… these guys are little and shy

OP
OP
M

Marine21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the video you posted but by what you’re describing and what you have partnered up with the firefish I’d say he’s getting bullied… these guys are little and shy
I got them both together in separate bags and got told at the pet shop is they are peaceful but should be introduced at different times. I did my research on both getting them. I’ll login to my YouTube channel and see if I can send the link from there to here. I do have a 54l tank but it won’t be cycled until the end of January at least. I’m worried he won’t make it through the night, the regal tang has been following him since they were both introduced but I’ve seen no signs of aggression just following each other.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are.
Male very fast, very aggressive, but housed with bigger tangs so theirs a balance. The DT is 180g.
1D8A963D-2867-4BB4-96BA-7C5E07806CD3.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Marine21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are.
Male very fast, very aggressive, but housed with bigger tangs so theirs a balance. The DT is 180g.
1D8A963D-2867-4BB4-96BA-7C5E07806CD3.jpeg
My tank is a 60g, I moved the rock around again today to add more hiding places. Mine has a half yellow stripe on top of his body and the other half is purple. Plays dead half the time. Eventually I was gonna add a bigger tang but I’ve read tangs can clash, certain species anyway. I’ve not sexed my anthias yet but it hides mostly, I’m lucky if I see it an hour a day.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 60g, I moved the rock around again today to add more hiding places. Mine has a half yellow stripe on top of his body and the other half is purple. Plays dead half the time. Eventually I was gonna add a bigger tang but I’ve read tangs can clash, certain species anyway. I’ve not sexed my anthias yet but it hides mostly, I’m lucky if I see it an hour a day.
I would say you’re having some territorial issues. 60g is too little for any tang and most anthias. Was the firefish your last fish addition to the tank?

OP
OP
M

Marine21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I had two clownfish, one was lost. No body found in tank or filter then another clown after which is a bit bigger but not the same air as any of the others so the firefish was the 4th introduced along with the regal tang. My current stock alive is the firefish, regal tang, clown and anthias. I put the anthias in last, I knew the regal liked to hide so I gave him a chance to get accustomed to his new home first. Regal was released 40 mins when he was in the bag and the anthias 10 minutes after.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • None.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back