Purple Firefish Spots?

lucidblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start with I'm a beginner. The Purple Firefish is the first fish I have going into a QT before putting it into my DT. My DT currently has 2 Mocha Clowns. I've just been observing the purple firefish in QT since Friday night, no med treatments. Last night I noticed some spots (not white) and I'm honestly not sure if they were there before. Are these spots normal to firefish or is this a disease? I looked up photos of firefish and haven't seen the spots. Here's a video and zoomed in photo. Also it seems to be pooping white with brown specs, but it's not long and stringy. Appreciate the help!

QT Aquarium Parameters
  • 10 gallon
  • HOB filter modified with included cartridge/sponge taken out, replaced with sponge and bio rings
  • Quick setup using 5 gallons from DT water change and 5 gallons new saltwater along with Fritz Turbo Start 900
Water Quality
  • Temp 78
  • Salinity = 1.024
  • Ammonia = 0 on Alert Badge and maybe a hair above 0 on Red Sea test
  • Nitrite = 0.2

530629BC-58C8-4025-9E5D-27A63BF9FC42.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish appears normal in behavior, breathing, etc. Could be flukes, but doubtful.
What foods are you feeding ?
Seeing its in a QT tank, any medications youre using ?

OP
OP
L

lucidblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish appears normal in behavior, breathing, etc. Could be flukes, but doubtful.
What foods are you feeding ?
Seeing its in a QT tank, any medications youre using ?
It's a new fish I just bought at LFS, QT'ing before going to DT. No meds yet, just observing since Friday night. It's also pooping white, but not long and stringy. I've only fed it frozen Mysis Shrimp. Only took a couple bites today, but yesterday it ate a bunch.

EA540B43-8F90-43EE-92B8-D2EA5561BA25.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It's a new fish I just bought at LFS, QT'ing before going to DT. No meds yet, just observing since Friday night. It's also pooping white, but not long and stringy. I've only fed it frozen Mysis Shrimp. Only took a couple bites today, but yesterday it ate a bunch.

EA540B43-8F90-43EE-92B8-D2EA5561BA25.jpeg
mysis shrimp and brine shrimp will mimic imnternal issue white poop and the mysis is likely the reason you see white. Add hikari marine cuisine or formula one and you'll see poop change color.

OP
OP
L

lucidblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mysis shrimp and brine shrimp will mimic imnternal issue white poop and the mysis is likely the reason you see white. Add hikari marine cuisine or formula one and you'll see poop change color.
Thank you! I guess I will just keep an eye on the spots for now and make sure nothing changes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I guess I will just keep an eye on the spots for now and make sure nothing changes.
You might consider dosing with General Cure, that can help with the internal issues and external flukes. My concern is that you said the fish’s appetite has decreased. If that continues tomorrow, that is an issue.
Jay

OP
OP
L

lucidblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might consider dosing with General Cure, that can help with the internal issues and external flukes. My concern is that you said the fish’s appetite has decreased. If that continues tomorrow, that is an issue.
Jay
Thanks Jay! I might try the General Cure. Thankfully, fish ate well tonight.

wiktor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start with I'm a beginner. The Purple Firefish is the first fish I have going into a QT before putting it into my DT. My DT currently has 2 Mocha Clowns. I've just been observing the purple firefish in QT since Friday night, no med treatments. Last night I noticed some spots (not white) and I'm honestly not sure if they were there before. Are these spots normal to firefish or is this a disease? I looked up photos of firefish and haven't seen the spots. Here's a video and zoomed in photo. Also it seems to be pooping white with brown specs, but it's not long and stringy. Appreciate the help!

QT Aquarium Parameters
  • 10 gallon
  • HOB filter modified with included cartridge/sponge taken out, replaced with sponge and bio rings
  • Quick setup using 5 gallons from DT water change and 5 gallons new saltwater along with Fritz Turbo Start 900
Water Quality
  • Temp 78
  • Salinity = 1.024
  • Ammonia = 0 on Alert Badge and maybe a hair above 0 on Red Sea test
  • Nitrite = 0.2

530629BC-58C8-4025-9E5D-27A63BF9FC42.jpeg

My firefish is spot on perfect, no damage or signs of illness had him for a month now in my care he’s brill but stay alone while my clowns, tang and wrasse hang around together all day/night. ur salinity is slightly low get thag back up to 1026-7. But doubt that would have had effect.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back