Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ChaseBurke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG-1290.JPG
I added it when starting my tank. Tank is only 5 months old. Crazy coralline growth.

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t speak to if that product works since I’ve never used it. But I can tell u that nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Caring and growing a tank takes a lot of patience. You will find all sorts of additives that claim to do one thing or another and some of there will not help your tank and can harm it.

I grew coralline in about 6 months without any additives to my tank. As I purchase coral often there was some coraline on the reef plug. Scrape that off into your tank to seed it with coraline and if you have the appropriate parameters established in your tank you will get coraline growth.

Just my opinion

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their stuff works really well, in my experience... I use a bottle of pink, and a bottle of purple, among all my other start up stuff that I put in. I have definitely seen a big difference in algae growth with it.

n21benson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some coralline algae in my tank but to maintain it (and make it grow), what would be a better additive;

1) Purple Helix
2) Kalkwasser
3) Coralline Algae Grow (by Red Sea)

Or something Else? Thank you.

dking271

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having good success using both the Purple and Pink despite the fact I have an Urchin in my tank. I have dosed twice to encourage the corraline to grow at a faster pace than the Urchin will consume it. I really should bring the Urchin to my LFS.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, Purple Helix actually claims to have live coralline spores. If so it might actually be a good way to introduce coralline for tanks that start with dry rock. It’s also interesting that with both the pink and purple, you might get some strain variety that might do better in your tank even if you have live rock. I’d be interested for someone to look at this stuff under the microscope and see if the claims bear out.

I have some coralline algae in my tank but to maintain it (and make it grow), what would be a better additive;

1) Purple Helix
2) Kalkwasser
3) Coralline Algae Grow (by Red Sea)

Pretty much all coralline additives (other than it seems this purple helix) only contain calcium, magnesium, aragonite, etc that you should already have from a good salt mix. They’re a waste of money basically.

Kalkwasser is a tried and true way to add calcium and alkalinity. Basically as long as you already have coralline, keeping up your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium should keep it healthy and spreading.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't used either.
Whether they work or not, your tank won't grow coraline until it's ready to. I can't tell you when that might be or why.
Perhaps those products will work, but I'd be shocked if they provided any benefit until the tank has been up and cycled for at least 2-3 months.

Back