purple spotted mantis shrimp. (pic included)

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20131104_161030-1.jpg
Anyone else have a purple spotted? Unexpectedly found 2 of these guys at a fish store 2 Weeks ago and even though I own one already I had to get 1 since it took me 2 years to get the other one I own after my first died. so now I own 3 mantis 1 baby green and 2 purple spotted. Love the colors on this one. She's a little naughtier then my other one. Kills all the hermits I put in her tank even though she's already ate and destroyed a couple pieces of my lps. Feel free to show off a pic of your mantis here.

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS sorry for double posting this thread it was a accident and can't seem to delete the other one

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bro juat got a peacock mantis today. Ill have to get some pics up.

Nice. How big?. They are my Fav but don't want to set up a species only for one. I like the purple spotted cause they get along with my fish. Although my valentini puffer did get whacked in the face once pretty bad cause he was trying to take her krill never broke his soon but his gave was swollen and blood blistered for awhile but other then that no probs

rockinzebra457

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its only about 2.5 inches maybe 3 and hes the only thing in a frag tank besides a couple snails and his cave lol

RacinRevo0818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait do they eat coral I wanna put a red one that's about 1.5inches in a 20 gal frag tank

I'm pretty sure they eat anything and everything. They also love clean up crews the might not be your best option for a frag tank. Most people have them in there own tank as they often eat fish also. Very cool but you would want his own tank!!

evolution21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait do they eat coral I wanna put a red one that's about 1.5inches in a 20 gal frag tank

No, but might kill them while trying to hit a hermit crab or something else...Also do not put corals until he is done rearranging his surrounds the way he wants. I have Kenya trees, zoas, and a huge tune anemone and it doesn't touch a thing

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those G. smithiis have been hard to come by. I would snatch them both up if I had tanks suitable for them and was close by. Nice find.

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they eat meat lol they won't eat coral but they will destroy it like to break things to make houses like to use rubble to full in their holes I don't reccoment putting in frag tank. They need rock with cavities and rubble

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those G. smithiis have been hard to come by. I would snatch them both up if I had tanks suitable for them and was close by. Nice find.
I know right!. I probably would have if I had another tank available. I went back a week later and they had replaced the one I bought with another even bigger purple spotted was surprised on how big this one was, maybe this one was a freak lol. Weird how all of a sudden they have them

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back