Purple Tang and Emperor Angel

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have a juvenile emperor angel that was added after my clown pair with a blenny. Emperor for the most part gets along with them. He has been in the tank for a month. I just added a small purple tang and the emperor almost immediately started going after him. I'm curious if I get a hang on acclimation box an let the angel chill in there while the tang gets comfortable or put the tang in the box and let the angel get used to the tang in the tank. Anyone done this and had success with keeping the aggression down? Do they normally get together after a few days? If the angel doesn't stop being a poop I'm probably just going to give him back to the LFS (which I planned on doing anyhow once I start putting corals in).

Thanks in advance!

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot depends on your tank size. I would try isolating the angel for a few days. Both of those fish require a lot of space and without enough there will be aggression from both fish. You could also try dividing the tank with egg crate if your box is too small.

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will go after each other for a few days and that's normal. If it gets to rough then hang a mirror on the side of your tank until everything calms down.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot depends on your tank size. I would try isolating the angel for a few days. Both of those fish require a lot of space and without enough there will be aggression from both fish. You could also try dividing the tank with egg crate if your box is too small.
I was thinking of isolating the angel (as you suggested) and then put him back in the play ground hoping it was "new" to him and not be as dominate.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will go after each other for a few days and that's normal. If it gets to rough then hang a mirror on the side of your tank until everything calms down.
A mirror... How does that assist in the aggression? Have you done this?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The theory behind it is that the angel will see himself and go after himself for a while allowing the tang time to settle.
Its worth trying, but if your angel starts ramming head first hard into the glass it may be worth removing.

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Ive done this before and I have 6 Tangs in my tank. The more aggressive fish will be intrested in showing the fish that looks exactly like him (which is the reflection) that he's the top dog. Once you remove the mirror the fish will usually be relieved that the other guy (his reflection) is gone and just relax.

I also have a Purple Tang and they are usually the boss of whatever tank they go in.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Ive done this before and I have 6 Tangs in my tank. The more aggressive fish will be intrested in showing the fish that looks exactly like him (which is the reflection) that he's the top dog. Once you remove the mirror the fish will usually be relieved that the other guy (his reflection) is gone and just relax.

I also have a Purple Tang and they are usually the boss of whatever tank they go in.
May have to try this mirror method. How long do you need to leave it up for the angel to calm down?

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longest I've had to leave the mirror up was three days. Give it a try, it should work.
I just put my wife's mirror. The angel is already very interested as to why there are two of him. Doesn't seem too interested in the tang currently.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put my wife's mirror. The angel is already very interested as to why there are two of him. Doesn't seem too interested in the tang currently.
Thanks for this recommendation/tip. After 5 days I finally took the mirror down today. The Emperor Angel is doing just fine with the Purple Tang! So happy.

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this recommendation/tip. After 5 days I finally took the mirror down today. The Emperor Angel is doing just fine with the Purple Tang! So happy.
That's So Awesome!! I'm really glad it worked out for you. I'm sure your Empreror Angel buddy is like "I'm sure glad that other Angel fish is gone." lol

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things going in the tank? We’re ready for a photo or two! :D
I've since gotten rid of the Emperor. Was super sad to see him go but once I started introducing corals I didn't want him annoying them so he had to go.
The Emperor and my purple tank were great tank mates. Never fought again after the mirror trick.

Back